"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-20-2008, 07:03 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

That's great that you were able to salvage it.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I have been told in KF that many Japanese knives with a chisel grind on one side and a dissimilar grind on the obverse may arrive in this condition.

As a tinker, I'm going to have to learn this aspect of repair and sharpening as I do more kitchen knives.

The good thing here is that it is not (as of yet) a client's knife. I had a bit more freedom in doing what must be done.

BTW, my wife was a tad under the weather this morning I had to feed the bichons. After a stint with commercial dog food,we decided to make our own.

The little boy likes things as strawberries. So, out came the nakiri and I thinly sliced up a nice garnish of fruit on top of his usual meal

I have to admit, it's kind of fun "on the opposite side of the business." Perhaps next I will walk on the wild side and poach an egg!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Sorry QSis, I'm already married. The closest thing I've ever had to something on the side was firing the twin 50's from the nose of a Korean war vintage F9 Cougar fighter jet. This single seat, single engined hunk of iron shakes when the guns are blazing. Ohhhh. Chico, the Harley "feeling" is a distant second.

Tourist, is your knife a Nakiri or a Usuba? Nakiris don't bend on their own because the cutting edge is centered between the cladding. Usubas and other Japanese single beveled knives have the cutting edge (hagane) forge welded to the SIDE of the cladding (jigane). The resulting asymmetry creates a pushing or pulling action due to temperature changes and is not unusual at all.

In either case, whether double or single beveled, it is an easy fix: bend it back to straight.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:01 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
Ohhh, how I love my Tojiro knives. I hope your new knife gives you as much pleasure as mine do!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I've been cutting all sorts of things since I straightened the blade. I got back to JWW and ordered a bamboo board and some oil.

I can see the need for clients to have big 10-inch to 14-inch gyutos, but we don't eat a lot of woolly mastodon at our house, and a six-inch knife of good quality is ample.

Granted, a nakiri is supposed to be for vegetables, but I'm trying it out on a number foods and slicing styles. Besides, I know a tinker who works cheap should I do something foolish with the edge.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:32 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
I actually feel I have more control with my 9" Chef's knife than a 6". I guess it's a personal thing.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinemates View Post
I actually feel I have more control with my 9" Chef's knife than a 6". I guess it's a personal thing.
I don't use shorter knives like Santokus for veggies. Having used a Chicago Cutlery 9" Chef's knife for thirty years they don't feel right. My standard size Gyuto is 240mm (9.4") and that seems most comfortable. I have a 300mm and can't get used to it.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Buller View Post
I got back to JWW and ordered a bamboo board and some oil.
Oil? It's mineral oil available cheap in any grocery or pharmacy.

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but bamboo is hard on edges. It's not wood, it's grass, and held in place by gobs of glue. What you need is a quality END grain board such as made by The Boardsmith. Take a bike ride to Wausau before I leave for Florida September 27th and I'll show you one, and some lovely Nakiris, Gyutos, Sujihikis, and Funayukis.....

Old 08-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Guys, I have nothing against any blade of any length if it has that magical component we know as balance--or if the cutler was skilled enough to know that some knives need a proper "placement" for this balance.

For example, I did sell a 9-inch Hattori that had that light springy action of a much smaller knife. I am no sous-chef in my cutlery skills, but I have seen food "fall apart" when that knife was used.

To the contrary I had a butakiri tht was "nose heavy." Another sous-chef borrowed it to block out a large leg of beef. He informed me after his task that he actually got more servings, and it was easier to cut across the striations. He showed me one of these cross-cuts, and it gleamed.

Now, I must lambaste you heretics on bamboo. You have failed to bow before the altar of Browniastorism.

http://www.altonbrown.com/shun/shun_flv_sm.html

As you pikers now know, you do bamboo, do you, I mean bamboo...

(Ah, it was funnier when Cary Grant did it.)
Old 08-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Buller View Post
The true "Alton's Angle" is the money he gets from pushing Shuns so hard. Shun makes very good knives from the Classics to the Elites but they're too common. Anything you can buy at Macy's, except for All-Clad pots and pans, is not for me.