I bought a new knife.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In many ways, I agree with you. And let's face it, for most knife users AB didn't break any new ideas that we all didn't know before. He even tells people to seek out professional sharpeners--and for Japanese laminates, I agree.

(The nakiri I bought as a dealer was 59 bucks. The shun model, an identical knife, costs 154 dollars in most outlets. Must be the advertising money they are trying to garner.)

However, after looking at rolled edges and chips, I don't see what the big deal is about bamboo. I don't slam my edges into anything. Even chopping can be done with a more rolled movement. And I've seen the old 1950's multi-colored hardwood boards used for many years and still not damage an entire block of Chicago Cutlery knives.

Some blame has to go to the user.

However, after looking at rolled edges and chips, I don't see what the big deal is about bamboo. I don't slam my edges into anything. Even chopping can be done with a more rolled movement. And I've seen the old 1950's multi-colored hardwood boards used for many years and still not damage an entire block of Chicago Cutlery knives.

Some blame has to go to the user.

I love to chop and I hate chips but they are difficult to avoid with hard steels such as Hitachi Blue Super. Hey, even Curtis Chung gets chips once in awhile. They sharpen out so no big deal. Oddly enough, that board Curtis is chopping on appears to be bamboo. Curtis is into insane sharpening like some of the rest of us.

Oh, I know. I think some folks chop food not for the flavor of the meal or the fellowship of the guests, but simply for the therapy of pounding away with a sharp instrument.

If you put a nice mirror edge on a good cleaver or Chinese knife, but use a wider angle, the edge will still slice, but it will take more of a pounding when chopping.

My wife has such a cleaver in her block of knives. She calls it her "squash whacker." When she makes acorn squash, she likes to cut them in half, and turn them open side down in a slight bit of water.

She finds the relative center of the squash, and takes one might whack! Usually, the cleaver goes more than half way through. She then just presses a bit until the she touches the cutting board.

Yes, I periodically have to fix the edge. But not as often as you might think.

Back
Top Bottom