I just bought a Tojiro-DP Gyutou 210

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
My brother is getting married and I was looking over his registry. He wanted to get all ceramic knives (cause he saw a TV show on them and got sucked in). I was explaining that good steel will serve him better than ceramic for his needs. While doing that I looked up Tojiro to give him an example and saw a knife for next to nothing (about $50) so I did the old impulse buy thing and ordered it for myself.

For those that have this knife or know about it, what type of edge does it come with and why type of edge could I actually realistically hope to maintain?

Please report in when you've had a chance to use it. I'm curious.

So, did you change your brother's mind about ceramics?

I am not sure if I did, but he seemed open to listening. He was asking the right questions at least. We will see what he decides in a few months.

In a recent episode of one of the far too many police dramas I watch (translation: not sure what show), the weapon was a ceramic knife and the killer broke it into pieces to try and avoid getting caught. Granted these shows embellish but it did make me wonder enough to look around. Seems like they are kind of a pain. Special sharpening needs and what not. Talk him out of them, get steel. Much better from all the reviews I've seen.

I am pretty sure he will listen to reason. If he doesn't though then it will not be a horrible inconvenience for him to buy another knife to add to the collection.

I would like to get this topic off ceramic and onto the blade on my future Tojiro. Anyone know what angle it will come sharpened at and what angle I should shoot for when doing my own sharpening?

I have a Tojiro 240mm gyuto. Bought it less than a month ago. It is my go-to knife, as I intended. I use it several times a day (home cook, no pro), and have not ordered a waterstone for sharpening yet. Rinse and wipe dry, don't chop bones...I don't need to sharpen, or even dress, yet. Nice knife. 50/50 bevel, and with a 1000/3000 or 1000/6000 waterstone (1000/3000 recommended by the seller) it should be easy to maintain the edge as new. I like the enclosed sharpening directions, recommending using a disposable bamboo chopstick as an angle gauge.

Here ya go Charlie.

Thanks Gadzooks. Sounds like you are really enjoying it. I can't wait to get mine. I just cleared a space in my block for it.

Yes, it is a very nice knife. The 210mm should be quite nimble...the vendor I bought from is an Asian restaurant supplier in Los Angeles, and the 210 was out of stock at $55 a pop.

Anyone know what angle it will come sharpened at and what angle I should shoot for when doing my own sharpening?

Pretty sure it's Swedish Sandvik 19C27 with 13.5% chromium making it just barely stainless. The cutting edge is hardened to Rockwell 60-61 and the carbides are very small enabling just about any edge you would like to give it.

If cutting is to be accomplished on an end grain wood board or a Sani-Tuff rubber board a 10 degree bevel is no problem. On any other sort of board I would recommend 15 degrees per side. I gifted my daughter and SIL with a DP 270mm Sujihiki a couple years ago and I sharpened it with a 6-7 degree secondary bevel and a 10 degree primary bevel. They cut on an end grain board and the edge is holding up just fine - no chipping whatsoever.

Hope that helps.

Buzz

Thanks Buzz. That is exactly what I was looking for. I will be cutting on an end grain board. I just checked my tracking number and it was delivered today (days before I expected it). I can't wait to get home and test it out.

Thanks Buzz. That is exactly what I was looking for. I will be cutting on an end grain board. I just checked my tracking number and it was delivered today (days before I expected it). I can't wait to get home and test it out.

The Toji DP is a tremendous bargain. There have been a few complaints about the fit of the handle on the tang and that the handle has a somewhat "boxy" shape. The DP I gave my daughter had no such issues. In any case, if there is a problem it can probably be fixed with some sandpaper, and if you use a pinch grip instead of a full handle grip you won't notice it anyway.

The DPs come fairly sharp from the factory but you'll be able get it sharper with your EdgePro. When cutting with this kind of blade use a light touch and let the edge do the work. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Buzz

I can understand what people mean about the boxy handle. It won't be an issue for me, but I can see how it would be for some.

It is heavier than I expected, but not uncomfortably so. I love the shape. It is quite sharp out of the box. It sliced through scallions like they were not even there and I was able to make thinner than paper slices of a grape with no effort.

I know I am going to love this knife.

Which model did you get, how long is it?
Buzz pretty much covered it :LOL: Yes the title of the thread gives you all the info. It is a Gyutou (which is like a chefs knife) and the size is 210 which, if I am not mistaken, is a little over 8 inches.

Ummmm. I think the thread title covers it pretty well Charlie. LOL :rolleyes:

Those used to buying German or domestic knives probably won't realize "210" refers to a size since knives here are generally listed by their size in inches. Japanese knives are usually listed by their metric size (or by some Japanese sizes like a "Sun"). Therefore a 210 means 210mm, close to the ol' standby 8" chef knife.

Buzz pretty much covered it :LOL: Yes the title of the thread gives you all the info. It is a Gyutou (which is like a chefs knife) and the size is 210 which, if I am not mistaken, is a little over 8 inches.
One of this this I will learn who to read and actually pay atention to what I am reading. My bigest problem in life, not paying attetntion. In todays world I'd be deemed ADSD and fed bunch of medications. ;)

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom