I just bought the Lansky Crock Stick Sharpener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Does anyone have one of these or know anything about it? I just ordered one online and should have it tomorrow I hope.

I was using a different Lansky sharpening system, but this one looks much easier to use.

Yeah MM this is a knife sharpening system. Those rods are ceramic and the holes in the wood base are drilled at 20 and 25 degrees. What you do is you hold the knife straight up and down and draw it over the rods to sharpen.

I sharpen mine probably about ever 6 months or so. Sometimes a little more often for my chefs and santoku knives (those are the ones that get the most use).

Last edited:
GB, this looks really easy. Let me know how this works. I am scared to death to sharpen knives because I don't know what the heck I am doing and I don't want to ruin the knife. Where I used to live, there was a little old man that came around with a big red car and bell - very comical! However, he sharpened the neighborhood's knives. I don't have that here and am afraid my knives are in need of sharpening. This looks fool-proof. Please let me know how it works.

I am the same way you are MM. I am scared to ruin my knives by doing it myself. I was using this system previously and it worked well, but it was a bit tedious to use. This one looks much easier. I will be sure to give you a review once I get it :)

I've had one of these for a long time. Then when I read about the system you were using, I bought one of those. Hmmmmm???

It is a lot simpler to use. You just have to be sure the knife is in a vertical position as you stroke it through the sticks to ensure you are sharpening at the right angle.

However, I'm not sure how much less tedious it is. You can't really apply a lot of pressure to the sticks when stroking the blade so it takes a lot of strokes to get the job done. What's easier is the elimination of attaching the rig and moving it along the blade.

The down side of buying good quality knives with HARD steel is that it's also HARD to get them sharp when they're not.

I'd like to know how this one works too. I heard the rod type sharpeners are best because they hold the knife at the proper angle to the stone at all times. In my local area most of the knife sharpening shops are just using a sanding belt and then finishing with a cardboard wheel to a final de-burring. These shops claim they use this sanding belt method for all the area restaurants. I'm scared i might ruin the few good knives i have. What do you chefs that constantly have knives sharpened do?

gary b said:
I'd like to know how this one works too. I heard the rod type sharpeners are best because they hold the knife at the proper angle to the stone at all times. In my local area most of the knife sharpening shops are just using a sanding belt and then finishing with a cardboard wheel to a final de-burring. These shops claim they use this sanding belt method for all the area restaurants. I'm scared i might ruin the few good knives i have. What do you chefs that constantly have knives sharpened do?

My ceramic knives I have sent in to the manufacturer to have resharpened. All my other knives I contract out to a guy that sharpens them in the back of his van. He's got a whole mess of stuff he uses and I just assume leave it to the professionals. 'Sides, I'm of the belief that no home sharpening system will do the job of someone with years of experience and the extra hardware.

gary b said:
What do you chefs that constantly have knives sharpened do?
They generally send their knives out to shops like you described. The sanding belt type sharpening works well as long as the person doing it knows what they are doing.

I agree with poppinfresh. Division of labor...I'm the guy doing the cooking, some other guy has the power tools.

I needed my knives sharpened and really had no idea who, what or where. I was chatting with my daughter as we picked our the chicken, roast, steaks we wanted for the week. Young butcher pardoned himself for eavesdropping and told of a shop where he takes his knives..I took mine there and have been a customer ever since..They are fast and not expensive and are so pleasant when you come in. It's a pleasure doing business with them.Added to that I've not ruined anymore knives:LOL: If you don't want to take a chance on ruining your knives ask a chef or a butcher..I've found them happy to help.

kadesma:)

GB,
Is the Lansky Crock Stick Sharpener used as the "main" knife sharpener, or is it just used to touch up the edge between sharpenings?

It looks like 2 chop sticks in a wooden base. Interesting!
12.gif

I had a similar knife sharpening system years ago. I still have one of the ceramic sticks. I had a bit of trouble sharpening knives for years. I could get them sharp enough for use, but not razor sharp. Then, a freind from texas told me he could get my knives super sharp, and that my Arkansas stone was all I needed. I gave him the wet-stone and my knives. Not only did he sharpen them to perection, but he also cleaned the stone, which had become cloged due to metal particle deposition. I also learned a thing or two about sharpening. And this info works whether you are using a stone, or a cermaic stick.

First, know that a dull blade is going to require patience and time. Also understand that it is much easier to work with multiple stones, and finish with the ceramic stick, or a fine arkansas stone.

For a dull knife edge:
1. Start with a coarse stone. This will remove metal faster and shorten the sharpening time. Keep the stone wet with either honing oil, or water. Starting at the tip end of the blade, move the knife in an elliptical pattern on the sharpening material. Continue this motion as you move toward the handle. Sharpen at a 20 degree angle. Apply medium pressure. Turn the blade over and do the same to the other side. Repeat this process on both sides from between three to ten time, depending on how dull and hard the blade is. The blade will feel fairly sharp, but with a rough edge that will grab at delicate foods.

2. Repeat the above process using a medium grit stone. Test the edge by slicing through a raw carrot, and then a tomato. The knife should do reasonably well, but not great.

3. Repeat using a fine grit arkansas stone. The edge should bcome very smooth and sharp. Again test on your carrot and tomato. The knife should slice effortlessly through both.

4. Run the knife blade accross your ceramic stick, or fine grit Arkansas stone for a few strokes, as if you were trying to cut into the sharpening material, with light pressure, and at a 45 degree angle. This sill give the edge more staying power; that is, it will hold its edge longer.

5. Using a good honing steel, run the blade lightly accross the steel, again with the cutting edge forward to the direction of the stroke. Use this method to produce the best results. Stroke with light pressure 5 times on one side, then five on the other (30 degree angle here). Now stroke 4 times on both sides. Now repeat for three strokes per side, then two, and then one final stroke per side. This last step will remove any burr left by the sharpening and align the edge to razor sharpness.

My knives are now always sharp, and keep their edges for months, requiring touch-ups about twice a year. And once they're sharp, they take much less effort to sharpen. I hone them before each use. I maintain all of my knives in this fasion, including the small paring knives, the hollow ground knives, the straight ground chef's knife, and everything in between.

And this technique works as well on my cheap knives as on my high quality ones.

Sharpening isn't a mystery. Just think about what a knife edge is, what a sharpening tool does, and then remember that too thin an edge is fragile, and easily damaged (hence the 45 degree angle at the end). But you only want that strong angle at the very edge of the cutting blade.

You will find that after time, all sharpening tools will clog with metalic particles. To clean, use an old, but clean tooth brush and baking soda. Make a past of baking soda and water, dip in the toothbrush, and scour the sharpening too. This works equally well on oild-stones, wet-stones, and ceramic sharpening sticks or rods.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Weed your info as usual is very accurate and informative.

The reason I like the systems as opposed to just using a stone is that I do not trust myself to keep the angle right. I have seen people ruin their knives by sharpening with a stone and not getting the right angle or not keeping the angle consistant.

I am actually a little nervous of that with this new system too as it requires me to keep the lade straight up and down, but I can judge that better than eyeballing a 20 degree angle.

Some day I do hope to work up the courage to try using just a stone though. That day will probably be if/when I buy a replacement chefs knife. I will get a stone and practice on my old chefs knife so that I won't worry about destroying my new one :)

GB said:
Weed your info as usual is very accurate and informative.

The reason I like the systems as opposed to just using a stone is that I do not trust myself to keep the angle right. I have seen people ruin their knives by sharpening with a stone and not getting the right angle or not keeping the angle consistant.

I am actually a little nervous of that with this new system too as it requires me to keep the lade straight up and down, but I can judge that better than eyeballing a 20 degree angle.

Some day I do hope to work up the courage to try using just a stone though. That day will probably be if/when I buy a replacement chefs knife. I will get a stone and practice on my old chefs knife so that I won't worry about destroying my new one :)

It's really pretty hard to ruin a knife, unless you break it (yes, I've done that), or chip or couge the cutting edge (and yes, I've done that as well, but not with any knives I really cared about). If you change the edge by sharpening at the wrong angle, It can be reground to the proper angle fairly quickly by anyone having the right jigs and tools. Of course, if you are working with a hollow-ground knife, rather than with a tapered blade, hte blade thickness becomes much thicker, much faster as you move toward the knife spine.

I once saw a guy gouging an oil stone, drawing the cutting edge toward his knee. I thought to myself that he was either going to completely ruin the stone (he was actually shaving the stone with each stroke), destroy the blade, or slip and slice his knee open. I offered to assist, he took offense, and we fought. Of course, since he had the knife, I yielded while thinking about my options. Fortunately, a couple of shipmates saw what was happening and jumped the guy, pulling him away from me. It was the last day of a Pacific cruise on an aircraft carrier. Thing go a bit nuts on the day before, and the day of arrival in port at the end of a cruise. Fights break out all over the ship. There's a bit of insanity that seems to affect sailors on that last two days.

But I digress. If you feel the need to practice before trying your sharpening skills, purchase a cheap pocket knife and practice. You will quickly develop the knack and eye for determining the correct bevel angle.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

OK I have had this now for a little while and have used it to sharpen my two most in need knives. The verdict is that I love this system. It works great. the first knive I used it on was my Santoku. This knife was in serious need of sharpening. I followed the directions to a T and found that it worked, but not as well as I had hoped. I realized that maybe I needed to make more passes on the ceramic rods than they suggested. I did that and it worked. My Sntoku is back in working order finally.

The next knife I sharpened was my chefs knife. This one was not in bad shape, but it was time for it to be sharpened none the less. I had been noticing lately that it was not as sharp as it could have been. i used the Crock Stick system on this knife last night and again gave it a few more passes (maybe about 25-26 instead of 15-20) over the rods. It worked perfectly. I cut up a cantoloupe right after sharpening and it went through like it was butter. I was thrilled.

I can't wait to sharpen my carving knife next :)

You sure can. I am having a blast using this thing!

If your knives are better than mine though then the post office might accidently not send them back for some reason though :angel:

Back
Top Bottom