"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenpeek View Post
WOW! That's great advice and more than I expected.

One last question before closing. What are your thoughts about the knives (and cookware) that the celebrities (like Paula Deen and Rachel Rey) have their own line of? Are they really worth it? Or are you just buying the name?

You guys are the greatest! Thank you so much for all your input.
Save your money. You are paying for the name. Some of the celebrities hook up with a well known knife or pot maker and have their name stamped on it. Some of their fans love what they have purchased, and some say they are the sorriest piece of crap. When I want to make a purchase for any item, I go to Amazon and read the reviews first. There will always be one or two that hate the product and give the item only one star. I figure those folks didn't follow directions. I am interested in the three and four star reviews. Why aren't they giving the item five stars. If there are too many three and four stars, more than the five stars, I will not buy that item.

The same goes for knives. I don't look for the most expensive knife, but the most functional and reasonably priced one. Chicago Cutlery has always had good reviews for their price. You really only need certain knives. A paring, chefs, bread, boning and utility knife. Since I never make a roast or cook a large piece of meat, I don't need a roast knife. My chefs knife will serve that purpose very well. I love my boning knife. I use it all the time for Frenching meat off the bone. I use it more than my chefs knife.

Go to a store that sells many different brands of knives. Hold them in your hand. If it doesn't feel comfortable to you, then that is not for you. Move on to another brand. Not all your knives have to match. Mine certainly don't. Just like my pots. I have no two pots from the same maker. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #12
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Knives are like shoes. You need to try them before you buy them.

They need to fit and be comfortable in your hand.

Very important.
I think I have seen you say this more than once.

I don't agree. My knives came mail order and I have never tried them. Love them They are comfortable and awesome. I do wish I had gone bigger on the chefs knife at times.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post

I don't agree. My knives came mail order and I have never tried them. Love them They are comfortable and awesome. I do wish I had gone bigger on the chefs knife at times.
You are lucky!

The fit and balance of knives are very important and can only be determined by actually holding it before buying.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
You are lucky!

The fit and balance of knives are very important and can only be determined by actually holding it before buying.
I belileve that what youa sy is partly correct. My daughters have smaller hands than mine, and one prefers an 8 inch chef's knife, while the other, like me, prefers the 10 inch model. I learned early that getting the feel of a knife comes with time and use, just as learning the nuances of a good motorcycle do. You can learn to be comfortable with a tool, especially when you live in a town like mine, where the opportunity to try out differing knives for their fit just doesn't exist.

As humans, we adapt to our surroundings very well, and adapt to the tools available. Ideally, we can find the perfect knife. More often than not, we have a limited supply to choose from, and a smaller number to test-drive.

If a quality knife is selected, a person can make it work, even if it's not the perfect knife.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:

I agree with the try before you buy. The problem is availability. I live in Richmond. There are 5 or 6 brands available. Seldom can you actually use them. Just holding doesn't mean much.

I'd start with 2 knives. A chef's and a smaller parer or petty. Forschners would be good. After a while you will get a better idea what you want.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenpeek View Post
WOW! That's great advice and more than I expected.

One last question before closing. What are your thoughts about the knives (and cookware) that the celebrities (like Paula Deen and Rachel Rey) have their own line of? Are they really worth it? Or are you just buying the name?

You guys are the greatest! Thank you so much for all your input.
I'd say no, celebrity endorsed knives aren't usually worth the premium. They are paid a royalty to have their name and likeness put on the packaging, and to use them on their shows. This pretty much goes for any celebrity branded kitchen stuff. I'm not saying that it is bad quality, but usually you can get stuff just as good for less money. The biggest reason that I'd say people buy the stuff, is that they really like the style of the products, the way they look. Paula Deen, Rachael Ray, and Bobby Flay all have very stylized kitchen equipment that some people really like.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I agree about most of the celebrity endorsed products.
Kayelle each have our own chef's knives. Hers is a Culinar because it fits her hand better. Mine is a Henkels.
I also have a Forschner boning knife and a Henkels 10 inch slicer. Needless to say, the chef's knife gets the biggest workout.
I also has a small utility knife that would barely cut butter until we took our knives to be professionally sharpened.
The biggest difference now is I can slice tomatoes with my chef's knife rather than the serrated one I had to use.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:42 PM   #18
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
You are lucky!

Not sure I would consider myself all that lucky. Spend good money on good tools. A well balanced knife is a well balanced knife. A sharp knife is a sharp knife.

I went the way I went (Hatorri) because it had a good reputation and the handle style was what I was looking for.

Was there a learning curve? Yes. I was not used to a knife without the heel bolster and I have paid for that a few time. I also went up in size, being used to an 8 inch knife I went to the 9.5 inch one.

The petty is actually a touch longer than I would have liked, but it is sharp and agile.

The boning knife is, being something of a specialty, the best of the breed. It has one job and it does it remarkably well. I wouldn't use it for most jobs but when I grab it excels.

A lesser knife maker that doesn't put out consistent good products and that doesn't get a good balance might be more of a try before you buy, but these have been wonderful to use.

I suspect if I ever sit in a Ferrari it will fit and feel right, though it might take a few minutes for me to adjust. I need to try a Ford heavily before buying one.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Not sure I would consider myself all that lucky. Spend good money on good tools. A well balanced knife is a well balanced knife. A sharp knife is a sharp knife.
I think there's probably a difference between women and men in how they perceive the feel of a knife, along with other tools. DH gave me a nice German-made Henckels knife for Christmas and I love it - we went knife-shopping together to make sure it would be comfortable for me. Then, when I was in culinary school, I got a new knife kit with a longer heavier chef's knife. I don't feel like I can maneuver it as well, but DH reaches for that one more often.

They're both good-quality knives, but different ones work better for each of us.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My best friend really likes Henckels so I helped build her set as birthday and Christmas gifts.

Mine are Wusthoff, I really like them, I didn't choose them, they were a generous gift from my sister.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kitchen, knives