I need help looking for a good chef knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally the only knives I deal with are global. I love them and they are very high quality. an 8 inch chefs is 90 dollars, but with a coupon you can probly get 20 percent off of that. I ordered mine on line

Regardless of the size, material and price of the knife...you should hold it and feel it in your hand. As someone already mentioned, a costly knife is no good to you if it doesn't feel right when you use it. And, you will use a good knife often.

actually, the 440 grades of stainless are medium to high carbon content
(from .65-.75 for 440a, to .95- 1.2 in 440C)

low carbon steels are generally softer, and have less edge holding, meaning they need to be sharpened more often.

I over simplifyied things a little:)
Oops, I misspoke! The 440-series steels are pretty good. I was thinking of 1.4116, which is less good. It's serviceable, of course, being similar to the steel in Victorinox blades, but definitely not worth paying too much extra for.

Oops, I misspoke! The 440-series steels are pretty good. I was thinking of 1.4116, which is less good. It's serviceable, of course, being similar to the steel in Victorinox blades, but definitely not worth paying too much extra for.

I couldn't agree more:)

if it doesnt say 440C, it's 440A..and thats probably the bottom of whats acceptable for a good kitchen knife.

Masahiro knives are a great buy. This 180mm Santoku is only $42.95:

products_529_2_original.jpg

There are several other sizes and styles available for similar prices here.

Thanks Scotch, those are good prices for those, all of the Masahiro knives at amaz are over $100.

Hi!

I love my Wusthof 7-inch Grand Prix Santoku! The Forschner Victorinox Fibrox Santoku is also a great knife for a good price.

But, like others have said, the feel of the knife is really important and for that reason, it's a good idea to see and hold and handle knives in person before buying.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom