"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-09-2008, 06:45 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Nice chart. I was wondering about grits myself, since this is what I have in my kit: (1) Medium India stone 8" long, (1) soft Arkansas stone 8" long, (1) Hard Translucent Arkansas stone 8" long.
Do you have any idea where they fit in with the Japanese waterstones? Is the M India the same as the M Arkansas on the chart? It sure would be nice if all stones had the same rating system.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Do you have any idea where they fit in with the Japanese waterstones?
No

Quote:
It sure would be nice if all stones had the same rating system.
Yes

Even when the grit number is the same the stones are made from different materials and hardnesses so the number doesn't do much more than give a hazy relative value. Some stones of the same grit cut much faster than others. They leave different finishes. Some work on practically all knives, some better on stainless, some better on carbon. My only suggestion is to search this forum, knifeforums, foodieforums, etc. and see what others have found to be true for them.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #33
Cook

unless you enjoy collecting expencive rocks (japanese water stones)

go with the glass stones. I find I keep buying waterstones just to try

them out
Old 12-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShepherd View Post
unless you enjoy collecting expencive rocks (japanese water stones)

go with the glass stones. I find I keep buying waterstones just to try

them out
Ditto Shep. They work quite well on both SS and carbon. Also, they are quite hard and don't dish easily, especially if you use the 45 degree blade to stone angle instead of 90 degrees so that the entire length of the stone is being worked.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #35
Head Chef

I'm still hoping to get GlassStones that fit the EP...that'd be a great Xmas gift for myself!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
I'm still hoping to get GlassStones that fit the EP...that'd be a great Xmas gift for myself!
There won't be any for Christmas, Rob, but I can tell you this. Ken Schwartz recently told me that someone is sending him a GS for him to cut down to 1X6 and mount on a EP blank. If it tests out okay, and why wouldn't it, Ben Dale should be pushed and hopefully might try and cut a deal with Shapton. We'll see. I'll be right behind you in line to buy a set. I'd be tempted to get the entire line - 220, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k, and 30k. Now *that* would be a sharpening system.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
Old 12-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Strange thing, Shapton sells a GS set:

GlassStone Knife Sharpening Set
$239.95
This stone set is designed to sharpen and polish knives. It includes Shapton's field holder and the 500, 2000 and 16000 GlassStones

I can see the jump from 500 to 2k, but from there to 16k????? If that is possible without adding too much work time, why in hell have all the intermediate grits? I think I'll let someone else try it first. If it works, a lot of stone money would be saved.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

I like it!
I grabbed a cheapo chefs knife that still had an edge, albeit dull, and now it cuts hanging paper like it's going out of style. So, I grabbed my old D-R Chinese knife and put an edge on that lickety split. Then I went for my DP. No problem. It could already cut paper, but now I can get further away from my thumb and with less of a slicing motion. The other two knives could not cut hanging paper before I sharpened them. I don't really know how else to test the DP without grabbing an onion and dicing it up, because this is where it felt like I was losing a little something.... But this sharpener rocks.
As you can see, I took Buzz's cue and set up a jig, where the only thing I had to think about was keeping the blade level. Very cool idea, Buzz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sharpening system.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	6259  
Old 12-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Quote:
I like it!
I grabbed a cheapo chefs knife that still had an edge, albeit dull, and now it cuts hanging paper like it's going out of style. So, I grabbed my old D-R Chinese knife and put an edge on that lickety split. Then I went for my DP. No problem. It could already cut paper, but now I can get further away from my thumb and with less of a slicing motion. The other two knives could not cut hanging paper before I sharpened them. I don't really know how else to test the DP without grabbing an onion and dicing it up, because this is where it felt like I was losing a little something.... But this sharpener rocks.
As you can see, I took Buzz's cue and set up a jig, where the only thing I had to think about was keeping the blade level. Very cool idea, Buzz.
Excellent. I'm glad your new stones are working for you. The idea of setting the bevel angle with the stone instead of the knife is neither mine nor new. It works well as it is easy to visualize the blade being parallel to the Earth. Welcome to free handing.