"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

I ordered a sharpener

I bought myself a present and ordered this sharpener last night.
I bought it from here though. Cheaper and free shipping I can't wait to get it. My Japanese knife is still dang sharp, but it needs sharpened nontheless. And I want to bring my Dexter Russell Chinese knife up to snuff. I figure this kit will get me going and I can always add more stones and a strop if my heart desires. This kit starts with a medium stone and is "supposed" to take you to a mirror finish. I might play around with the edge guide that comes with it, but I'm more looking forward to trying the method Buzz posted, using a ridged wheel chock and resting the stone holder on it at the appropriate angle, then merely keeping the blade level.
Yay, something to do while I'm watching the tube

Old 12-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Executive Chef

The Norton Hard Translucent Arkansas can give a polished finish. The Washita is more aggressive. The India stones seem to be succeptible to wear. Think you'll need an extra pair of eyes if you want to watch the tube while sharpening.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I can't wait to hear how it works out for you. Congratulations on what looks to be a very nice purchase.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks GB. I don't think it will bring back to life some of my really dull knives, not without a coarse stone, but then I started thinking..... why would I want to use my olde knives? (lol). I'll grab one of them when I want to cut cheese or frozen hot dogs.

I'll keep my eye on the India for wear, Bill. And on my sharpening and not the TV ;^)
Old 12-07-2008, 01:29 AM   #5
Senior Cook

That looks like a very sensible bit of sharpening kit.

I have 4 whetstones, although I only use the coarsest on blunt knives that need an edge re-established.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:53 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks GB. I don't think it will bring back to life some of my really dull knives, not without a coarse stone, but then I started thinking..... why would I want to use my olde knives? (lol). I'll grab one of them when I want to cut cheese or frozen hot dogs.

I'll keep my eye on the India for wear, Bill. And on my sharpening and not the TV ;^)
You should use your old dull knives to practice your sharpening technique. I believe your India stone has one relatively coarse and one 'finer' side and could be useful for restoring the bevel on your dullest knives.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I was seriously looking into wetstones, j, but the fact that they needed dressed right out of the box put me off. And I realize that flattening them is a relatively easy job, but I wanted something I could use right out of the box.

I'll grab an old knife that isn't too bad off to practice on first.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

I've been using a steel on my knives and I thinks it's time to get a sharpening device. Can I get suggestions on a good place to start.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I couldn't even tell you where I started (lol).
I got some advice privately, read comments on various websites, called up a few places and spoke with them (including a professional knife sharpener), Norton's actual website (it's linked from the Norton store link I posted) is a good site to help you figure out what the different stones are used for. It even has a question and answer feature to steer you towards kits or stones suited to your needs. And I also drew on past experience sharpening my hunting and filet knives.
What it came down to me was, I wanted a kit or system with its own stone holder, and I wanted a "typical" sharpener, not a mechanical type system. I already have a Lansky and from past experience I didn't even feel like breaking it out, even though it is a good system, just not one I was interested in using on large knives.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnelly View Post
I've been using a steel on my knives and I thinks it's time to get a sharpening device. Can I get suggestions on a good place to start.
How sharp do you want to get your knives?

If you want to get seriously sharp you need to invest in a couple of stones and put the time and effort into learning how to use them. There are some scary people on these forums who go well beyond that.
If you go that route I'd recommend getting at least two stones. One with with a ~300-400 grit that will be used to re-establish the bevel and another at ~800-1200 grit to smooth and polish the edge.
I prefer using a hard German stone for the coarse grinding and soft Japanese stone for the polishing.

If you just want them sharp enough to keep an edge for domestic use there are a number of systems you can use. Some that I've seen used that do the job are:
- Furitech system
- Ceramic wheel sharpeners, Global being the best.
- Electric sharpeners. Be very careful as a bad electric sharpener will strip away all the metal in your knives before you can blink. Shun and Wusthof have electric sharpeners released under their brand names and these are names that I do trust.

I am personally very scared of any diamond sharpeners, although that might not be entirely rational.

The important thing is not to oversharpen your knives as you'll be left with a set of beautiful metal toothpicks if you do. For home use you will never need to sharpen your main knife more than once a month