"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Hmmmm

Now we're talking. And for a handle for one of the thicker rods maybe a bed post end or something like that from someplace. Just a vice and some careful drilling with a DeWalt or even a hand drill might do the trick.

Thanks for the tips. I've got those pages bookmarked now.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Glad to help.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
Head Chef

As the OP states, the only real purpose of a glass rod for knives is honing very hard knives (like 60 RC and harder). A glass rod isn't really all that useful for softer knives like those from Wusthof, Henckels, etc.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Do the more expensive rods have a frosted finish?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Frosted

I believe the Hand American professionally made model is frosted.

More and more I find myself reaching for my carbon steel knives and using my smooth butcher's steel on them. They go for months and months without needing any sharpening. I am beginning to think that greater RC hardness is not necessarily a virtue in kitchen knives. Also, two of those are the old fashioned french style (Thiers-Issard Sabatier chef knives) and I love using them. Same for my very inexpensive Old Hickory boning knife. Yes, you have to rinse them and dry them a lot or they'll tarnish and pit, and steel them a lot to keep them sharp, but none of that is any big deal to me.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #16
Head Chef

Many of those Sabatier knives are actually pretty hard. Hardness in a knife is neither here nor there really; in and of itself the RC doesn't say much. If it's very hard but not at all tough (brittle like a ceramic) then it's of limited usefulness. Very good steels that can be hardened to a high RC with superb toughness, such as M390, are staggeringly good in the kitchen. Every one of my personal favorite knives is at least 60 RC and all will hold up pretty well in a pro kitchen.

However, some harder ones aren't really all that great. Several of my coworkers have Shun knives and it seems they only keep a usable edge for a couple weeks to may a month or two depending on how they're treated. I just don't think VG-10 is a great kitchen knife steel.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Ceramic

The larger diameter borosilicate rod project ran into snags when the supplier that PincessFiona told me about informed me that I would need a torch to cut through it. So I went with Plan B- a ceramic sharpening rod. Yes, I know they take off a little bit of metal, but it really doesn't amount to much. It seems perfect for occasional use on the High- RC Japanese knives and also for occasional use on everything else in between regular steelings. First impressions: very good, very useful new sharpening thing for my arsenal.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Well...at least now you know!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Yep. I'm glad I looked into it. Now I can be happy with my ceramic alternative. Lots of interesting hard to find items on that page, btw.