"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by macro_grp02 View Post
I agree. I find the Dexter Russel knives are amazing.
Our Kitchen Manager finally broke down and bought a couple knifes for the kitchen after the "whatever her actual title is" manager's knives failed. He got 2 Dexter bread knifes (which compared to the incredibly old, no longer serrated knifes we had are a godsend). He also (just last week) got a Chicago Cutlery 5" santoku for the tuna. It's a fair knife, but has a little trouble holding an edge. hopefully with a little work it will be better. Much thinner blade though making it easier to do the thin slices of fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
purchase one for yourself, then take it in and demonstrate that it is SO much better! I'm not sure whether you're looking for a filleting knife, or a knife to cut portions of already-cooked fish... Which is it?
Our use is for cooked fish. We prep thick tuna filets (not sure exactly what to call them...thicker than a filet, but not quite right to be a steak either) by searing the outside, keeping the inside rare, then slice thin for a couple of our salads. I suppose it would also help if the other cooks were a little more knife savvy. After they watch me take a steel to a knife, they try and one has actually chipped a blade from such a steep angle.