Inexpensive (but good) fish knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Count Omulis

Assistant Cook
In the restaurant I work, we have one specific manager who isn't as knowledgeable about the kitchen itself, but does what they can to keep all costs as low as possible. The manager in question bought an extremely cheap farberware knife to slice our seared tuna for salads. The knife is absolutely horrible, and cannot hold an edge. no matter what i do to sharpen it. Is there a good recommendation for an inexpensive knife to meet my managers qualifications, but a thin enough blade to slice the tuna cleanly and do a decent job of holding an edge?

sure . search on line for Dexter Russell , America's premiere foodservice knife company

Last edited:
You might also try Bass Pro (the largest Sporting Goods Retailer in the nation, but with high quality goods!) and search for "filet knife." You might even find one on sale!

Like I said, try Bass Pro - among others they sell Dexter Russel knives (about a dozen models!)

If you want a fish knife, go to where the fishermen get theirs! And I'll bet you'll get the same thing a lot less expensive than a commercial restaurant supply house!

http://www.basspro.com
search words: filet knife

In the $30-or-less category the Forschner Fibrox is probably your best bet. They're sharp OOTB, soft enough to resharpen yet will hold an edge adequately for most purposes. IMO they're a cut above the Dexters (no pun intended).

Dexter-Russell, Inc.
Universal_Prod_Display_2.asp

Thanks all, now comes the hard part...trying to convince a manager that a better knife is worth the purchase. keep the ideas coming though

Thanks all, now comes the hard part...trying to convince a manager that a better knife is worth the purchase. keep the ideas coming though

purchase one for yourself, then take it in and demonstrate that it is SO much better! I'm not sure whether you're looking for a filleting knife, or a knife to cut portions of already-cooked fish... Which is it?

I agree. I find the Dexter Russel knives are amazing. :)

Our Kitchen Manager finally broke down and bought a couple knifes for the kitchen after the "whatever her actual title is" manager's knives failed. He got 2 Dexter bread knifes (which compared to the incredibly old, no longer serrated knifes we had are a godsend). He also (just last week) got a Chicago Cutlery 5" santoku for the tuna. It's a fair knife, but has a little trouble holding an edge. hopefully with a little work it will be better. Much thinner blade though making it easier to do the thin slices of fish.

purchase one for yourself, then take it in and demonstrate that it is SO much better! I'm not sure whether you're looking for a filleting knife, or a knife to cut portions of already-cooked fish... Which is it?

Our use is for cooked fish. We prep thick tuna filets (not sure exactly what to call them...thicker than a filet, but not quite right to be a steak either) by searing the outside, keeping the inside rare, then slice thin for a couple of our salads. I suppose it would also help if the other cooks were a little more knife savvy. After they watch me take a steel to a knife, they try and one has actually chipped a blade from such a steep angle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom