"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 10-28-2006, 01:30 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Inexpensive Knives

You guys are all making me so envious. And I WILL get one of those expensive knives one of these days, maybe after Xmas 2020, hehehe. Seriously tho, till I'm able to get a few pieces, which I will do one at a time, are there any inexpensive alternatives? I've seen a few by the names you've mentioned, that were inexpensive. However, just cuz they are inexpensive, does that mean they are worthless??

Old 10-28-2006, 01:49 AM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Cindy, what's most important in a knife is that it be well balanced, a full tang knife, and feel like an extension of your arm. Just because a knife is inexpensive does not automatically mean that it is "cheao!" OTOH, I would recommend that you invest in ONE good knife that you custom choose for yourself by trying out lots of different ones.

go try out the ones you cannot afford first, and then look for one in your price range that feels the most like the one you liked best.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:10 AM   #3
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Knives are like a car, mattress or, mate....it is a long term investment. I weigh ALL my investments, like financial investments, WHAT IS MY RETURN!....

I would Rather sink my heart mind and soul into something worthwhile, then replace it 100 times. Just my $.02...
Old 10-28-2006, 02:19 AM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
If you need a cheap knives, my family has always used Chicago Cutlery knives with great success. They get the job done for home-cooking tasks.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:27 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Cindy, go try out the ones you cannot afford first, and then look for one in your price range that feels the most like the one you liked best.
Excellent advice, thank you!!! :-) You forgot the part about writing down the one that you like, the price and START SAVING!!!! LoL hehehe

I live in a small town, I like it that way, but sometimes we don't have places to get the things we want. We have a WalMarts. ROFLMAO ... :-)
Old 10-28-2006, 02:32 AM   #6
Sous Chef

What do you all think about the inexpensive line of Henckels?

Old 10-28-2006, 02:35 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Thanks, College_Cook, I'll check out the Chicago line :-)
Old 10-28-2006, 02:43 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Inexpensive Knives

Hi Cindy,
I agree with Chef June, the balance and the way it fits your hand is the secret!

In fact I got a set of Hamilton Forge Santoku's; an 8", a 6" and a 3" for less than $10.00 (TARGET)
I previously got a 10" Santoku for $9.95 at "Linens and Things"

These knives have a hard Plastic handle. The shank is riveted through the handle with three rivets.

The curve of the handle fits my hand perfectly. The 3" Sandoku
is not balanced too good when used as a paring knife.

They are all sharp enough to slice a tomato 1/8" thick.

I prefer the Sandoku to a Chefs Knife in that the blade is more flat to the surface and makes a clean cut the entire length of the item you are slicing, chopping or othr wise cutting.

When they get dull I'll just buy another set.

I can buy 8 or more knives for the price of one of the popular brands.

Charlie
Old 10-28-2006, 04:06 AM   #9
Sous Chef

I probably should have mentioned that I'm right handed and I have small hands, well, short fingers. :-)

Thanks everyone, you've given me a few things to think about. Might visit Linen & Things in a couple of weeks, hope they have open packages so I can get the feel of something.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:59 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

You can shop on Amazon and get good buys on quite good knives also. I got my Wusthof Santoku for $29.95. I've forgotten which "model" but I had also gotten the top of the line santokus for our kids--also Wusthof. I like mine a bit better although all are VERY good.
Victorinox makes a line of knives that are heavily used in the restaurant industry because they have plastic handles. I have a number of these for my paring knives. I also gave this brand to our children for bread knives.
I have never seen the need for a block of matching knives. I use about 3 knives constantly--my 10" or 12" Henckels chef that I have had for 40 years,the santoku, and the paring knives and then assorted other chef's and slicers of differing labels. My bread knife is a serrated knife and not expensive. I have also never seen the wisdom of spending $100 for a bread knife.
So, take a look at Linens and Things, Bed Bath and Beyond and especially Amazon. Shipping is usually free. I have a Chicago Cutlery boning knife so well loved that it has lost a good part of its blade from sharpening.
And all that everyone has said about "feel in the hand" is true, but I reserve that for when I am spending big bucks on the knife I'm going to have forever. Usually I can quite adapt to what I am using.