"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I have a MagBlok, it's great.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Mine looks like this.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Mine looks like this.

We have two like that only about half the size each. The kitchen walls are too small in the workable area, so we couldn't go with the long ones. So we bought two smaller and separated them Just remember to any who are new to them ... or chef's knives of any kind ... if a knife falls from your hand or the counter, or wherever ... don't try to catch it
Old 06-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Spine First?

Maybe I'm confused... When I remove my knives from the magnetic holder I twist the knife by the handle to ensure that the edge leaves the block first. My thought process was that coming off spine first could potentially roll/damage the edge, no?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

When I had mine I took them off a completely different way. I lifted up from the handle so the spine and edge came off at the same time.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Yeah, I looked ... I pull them off by pulling the edge off first then the spine, effectively rolling on the spine.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Able Hands View Post
Maybe I'm confused... When I remove my knives from the magnetic holder I twist the knife by the handle to ensure that the edge leaves the block first. My thought process was that coming off spine first could potentially roll/damage the edge, no?
maybe it got lost in translation, but you always want to twist so that the spine leaves last (edge leaves first) when removing the knife, and make sure that the spine makes first contact when replacing the knife...this is the method alton brown uses, and would be the method i'd use....protecting the edge is most important

personally, i wouldnt use anything where the knife makes direct contact with metal (especially with a harder steel)...it could scratch the knife at best, and damage the edge at worst....ive heard great things about the mag bloks, and would get one if i had a good place in my kitchen for them (and if my wife didnt think of them as the "death rack")
Old 06-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Thanks for clarifying. I thought that was how it should be done.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #19
Master Chef

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i wish i could have one. i have mine in wusthoff sheaths. and my huge wusthoff cleaver is hung on the wall by the hole with the original heavy cardboard over with the hole punched out.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
maybe it got lost in translation, but you always want to twist so that the spine leaves last (edge leaves first) when removing the knife, and make sure that the spine makes first contact when replacing the knife...this is the method alton brown uses, and would be the method i'd use....protecting the edge is most important

personally, i wouldnt use anything where the knife makes direct contact with metal (especially with a harder steel)...it could scratch the knife at best, and damage the edge at worst....ive heard great things about the mag bloks, and would get one if i had a good place in my kitchen for them (and if my wife didnt think of them as the "death rack")
Here's the exception. It is next to impossible to remove the 220x110mm Chuckabocho on the left in the normal way because of the strength of the magnetic attraction. It must be slid downward off the Mag-Blok. It doesn't damage the edge as it protrudes slightly beyond the left end of the wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magblok.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	7228