"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
?
I am wondering the same thing. I have my knives in a couple of blocks, mostly because I have more counter space than wall space. The blocks store the knives flat, my preference because the blocks do not cut up by the knives.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I am wondering the same thing. I have my knives in a couple of blocks, mostly because I have more counter space than wall space. The blocks store the knives flat, my preference because the blocks do not cut up by the knives.

Yes, I'd mentioned earlier that if you need to store them in a block, flat is best. But, unless you are paying attention to each time you put a knife in or take it out, taking care not to hit the blade against the wood (this is why flat is better, the blade doesn't rest on the block this way) it's just that much more wear on the blade. The mag bar does not put any wear at all unless you consider the non-business side of the blade. I know it seems ridiculous to some, but as much as I pay for a nice knife, I want it to last a long time and not get worn by sharpening due to extra wear.

This is more so for cheaper knives, btw, the steel is generally not a good quality. I haven't used a block for many years, so I don't know about the more quality blades.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Wear on a knife edge due to a wooden block is negligible. You can slice and chop on a wooden cutting board for hours and not damage the blade. The wood surfaces of a block would be no different.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #34
Senior Cook

I don't use wood cutting boards either
Old 06-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
I don't use wood cutting boards either
Well, if you're not using either an end grain wooden board of a Sani-Tuff rubber board then I can guarantee the result will be premature edge wear.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Well, if you're not using either an end grain wooden board of a Sani-Tuff rubber board then I can guarantee the result will be premature edge wear.

I'll have to try one of those Sani-Tuff boards, it sounds great. Not only wont food slip around, but it is nonporous and easy on the blades ... thanks for the info!
Old 06-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #37
Sous Chef

The best place I've found to buy a Sani-Tuff is at Atlanta Fixture.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Wear on a knife edge due to a wooden block is negligible. You can slice and chop on a wooden cutting board for hours and not damage the blade. The wood surfaces of a block would be no different.
my block has the knives lying flat, and the edges dont hit the block when i remove them....but i agree with buzz that even if they did hit the block, its not going to make any difference at all....it would be the same thing as taking one extra, very light pass on your cutting board

my worry with mag bars (not blok) that have exposed metal is that the possibility of damage is always there, especially if someone else decides to use your knife (the magnets are stronger than most people realize)....most people can safely operate a knife block...and since thats the case, why bother scratching up your pretty knife, even if it doesn't affect performance?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post

my worry with mag bars (not blok) that have exposed metal is that the possibility of damage is always there, especially if someone else decides to use your knife (the magnets are stronger than most people realize)....most people can safely operate a knife block...and since thats the case, why bother scratching up your pretty knife, even if it doesn't affect performance?

That's not a consideration in our kitchen, DW and I are the only 2 people using the knives and she is far more capable than I.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #40
Master Chef

my concern was exposed sharp knife blades when my girls were young.