Is a magnetic knife bar safe...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...my worry with mag bars (not blok) that have exposed metal is that the possibility of damage is always there, especially if someone else decides to use your knife...

This just isn't an issue. Knife steel is fairly hard and doesn't mark up easily. (Also, so what if it does?)

If you had a magblok then you would have to worry about the hard steel for the knife marring the wood surface.

I switched from a wood block to a magnetic strip to free up counter space and wouldn't trade back.

...but not on your knives??!!

So far I've got a couple "wear marks" on my knives, one from a slip of the hand during an early attempt at learning to sharpen on my 8" chef and one from when I tried to make my santoku fit into one of those slip on plastic blade guards. The santoku is a Shun Ken Onion, so it's a funny shape, but I was amazed that the plastic actually scratched the surface of the blade.

I'm not actually looking forward to more such marks, but as long as the damage is only cosmetic, as with the current marks, it won't be such a big deal if it happens.

In my opinion, both the magblock and the knives are tools that are meant to be used. Either or both will become marked by that use over time.

I have used mag strips for years on all types of cutlery without any issues at all, until when I took off on a two week vacation, upon my return I have found that two of my high end knives had a light rust residue marks on them (carbon steel Henckel as well as one of my Damascus Hattori). I later found out that one of my son's were over using the outdoor kitchen and I think failed to clean and dry the knives properly. I have since laid down the law to them that they are to use the Wife's pretty GW's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom