"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Exclamation ISO a low maintenance chef's knife

A couple years ago I came here for help to find a good knife. I am the 'average' home user and probably use it to cut one thing a day, so not a lot of work. I ended up landing on a wusthof chef's knife. I also got an edgemaker kit as per you guys' recommendation.

Out of the box it was extremely nice and sharp. But my main issue is that I have to sharpen it pretty damn often to keep it sharp, after a couple uses of not sharpening, walmart knives could put it to shame! After some reading, it turns out wusthof knives are great but they have softer steel than many others, so need to be sharpened more often.

Can you guys recommend a reasonably priced chef's knife that will stay sharp for as long as possible, minimizing sharpening needs.

Thanks!

Old 02-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Do you use a hone on the knife after each use?

Old 02-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

The metal honing rod? No I do not. To be honest I've stayed away from that thing like the plague. I can't imagine me running my knife through it at the right or even the same angle every time. Seems like I would do more harm than good
Old 02-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have a set of three sizes of Wiltshire Staysharp kinves. They have a sheath with a sharpener inside. We have the sheaths mounted on the wall. I don't have this particular knife, but this is the idea:

They aren't nearly as nice as my Henckels and don't get used as much, but they do get used and they are always sharp.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle0k View Post
The metal honing rod? No I do not. To be honest I've stayed away from that thing like the plague. I can't imagine me running my knife through it at the right or even the same angle every time. Seems like I would do more harm than good
Learn to use it! The edge has a tendency to "fold" over during use. The steel allows the edge to be reshaped to true, thus maintaining the knifes sharpness. I don't know if ceramic knife blades require sharpening, but you might want to check into them, if you don't want to maintain your stainless.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Don't try to flap the hone and the knife around in the air, like TV chefs do. Real chefs and good cooks don't do that.

Put a kitchen towel on the counter and rest the tip of the hone on it, to prevent slipping. Then place the knife at about a 20-degree angle and run it down each side of the hone, pulling it toward you to sharpen the length of the blade. Repeat about 10 times on each side. Wipe the knife and get cooking!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle0k View Post
Wusthof makes a great knife. It will perform well if properly maintained. Honing is proper maintenance. If you're not going to hone your blade after every use, it won't stay sharp. That's true for any knife.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have a set of three sizes of Wiltshire Staysharp kinves. They have a sheath with a sharpener inside. We have the sheaths mounted on the wall. I don't have this particular knife, but this is the idea:

They aren't nearly as nice as my Henckels and don't get used as much, but they do get used and they are always sharp.
I have one like that Taxi, and it's the only knife in my kitchen that's always sharp. I think I'll order another one! The knife police may arrest me, but I hate to sharpen knives.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Wusthof makes a great knife. It will perform well if properly maintained. Honing is proper maintenance. If you're not going to hone your blade after every use, it won't stay sharp. That's true for any knife.
+1.
I have Wusthof chefs knives from the Grand Prix and Pro series and never had similar problems.
Is it possible that the problem is the cutting board? Not all plastic/poly is created equal, same for bamboo, and even hardwood cutting boards have many different grades.
In the era of high performance Japanese blades, German knives still have a place IMHO precisely because of their tolerance towards abuse and low maintenance.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I hone my knives before every use. Stirling won't hone them, so even if I did it after every time I used them, I wouldn't know it had been done since the last use.

Tags
chef, knife