"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO a nice cheap pack of knives for home.

Hello, I'm looking for a cheap pack of knifes for home usage but I also want them to be quite professional (I like playing chef at home 😝). Which material do they use to make good knifes? How many different knifes do I need for every situation? Please point me to the right direction.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
Master Chef

There is no such thing as cheap professional knives. You get what you pay for. You just need one knife for each situation, as long as its the right knife.

There are two different knife styles; western and eastern. Western blades have a 23 degree angle, while eastern blades have a 17 degree angle, making them lighter and extremely sharp, but they also get dull sooner.

There are two types of blades; forged or stamped. Forged is arguably better. There are three types of handles; riveted, pressed, and hollow as a part of the knife itself. Riveted is best. Pressed can pull off of the blade. All one piece stainless steel blade and handle is less expensive than riveted.

I have Gunter Willhelm knives and they sure as hell aren't cheap! I have used the Cuisinart Stainless Steel Hollow Handle Knives in the Amoretti Test Kitchen and they are decent knives at a reasonable price, but in my experience they get dull easily. If you do buy a block set, try to find one without steak knives, unless you really need overpriced steak knives.

Oh hell, I could go on forever and other people could argue each point I've made. I am going to go get a haircut now, and I think you should go to a kitchen store and see what they have in your price range. We can meet back here later, where you can check out my haircut and I can check out your choice of knives.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Can you post some images?
Old 09-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
Master Chef

I got my hair cut. Did you visit a kitchen store like I suggested?
Old 09-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
Master Chef

Yes, you can get cheap knives that are used in many restaurants, but not at a Kitchen store. They will NOT be something you use forever, and pass on to the kids. They do a job, and when you wear them out, you toss them.

You will find them at Restaurant Supply stores Like Ace Mart.

https://www.acemart.com/kitchen/cutlery

CD
Old 09-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaliaris View Post
Hello, I'm looking for a cheap pack of knifes for home usage but I also want them to be quite professional (I like playing chef at home 😝). Which material do they use to make good knifes? How many different knifes do I need for every situation? Please point me to the right direction.
Babaliaris, I'm assuming English isn't your first language and you are relatively young. If I'm wrong please believe I mean no insult. Do you mean cheap or inexpensive? Cheap implies inferior quality. Here is my question. Do you want to spend enough to buy a knife, or two or three, that you will keep for a lifetime? If so then Sir_Loin_of_Beef has a good suggestion as a starting point. But, in that case, I suggest you first answer for yourself how you are going to keep that knife, or knives sharp. If you want high-quality knives and are willing and able to pay to have them professionally sharpened on a regular basis that's one thing. If you don't necessarily want to make either commitment now, then I suggest you first decide how you are going to sharpen them yourself. Making that decision will teach you a lot about knives. If you're not experienced, practicing on the knives you have now or on "good" but inexpensive knives manufactured for sale to professional kitchens will teach you even more.

My approach to this question is different than most of the members of this forum. That doesn't make me any more right or wrong though. My suggestion is to go Sir Loins shops and feel the knives in your hand and while you're there ask them to show you and explain their sharpening stones as well. Some internet research on the topic will almost certainly be helpful. Also, visit a couple restaurant supply stores and see what knives and sharpening systems they sell to professional kitchens.

So good luck.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Yes, you can get cheap knives that are used in many restaurants, but not at a Kitchen store. They will NOT be something you use forever, and pass on to the kids. They do a job, and when you wear them out, you toss them.

You will find them at Restaurant Supply stores Like Ace Mart.

https://www.acemart.com/kitchen/cutlery

CD
Those are the type of knives that have pressed on handles that will pull off the tang of the blade. They are also stamped as opposed to forged, which means they are flimsy. They are also the reason that, when professional chefs go to work, they bring their own knives!

Old 09-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #8
Master Chef

Your best deal for the money will be Cuisinart, Sabatier, or Chicago Cutlery.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:10 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Yes, my first language isn't English, I'm Greek 21 years old and a university student. I have 3 years of cooking experience and I know how to cut without cutting my fingers. Sir Loin, these are exactly what I was looking for. I should not say professional, I'm just looking for good knifes for home for every situation. Also I want them to be quite sharp, not like these fake knifes I have which they can't even cut an onion without applying strong pressure.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:21 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

I found this in a Greek online store http://www.cookware.gr/gr/prdid/e203...oductinfo.aspx
Will this be suitable for cutting vegetables? Like onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots etc. And it's worth 20 euros including shipping which is about 21 dollars.

Tags
cheap, knife, knives