ISO advice on fish and seafood knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathanKent

Assistant Cook
our house....in the middle of our street.
1. What would you recommend for a good fileting knife? Is this a knife that is worth spending $70 on, or are some of the $40 alternatives acceptable?

2. Same question, only for a scaling knife.

3. I've seen a $5 clam/oyster shucker in a couple of different stores lately. I know half the battle with clams and oysters is just sheer brute force, which wouldn't require a finely crafted piece of equipment, but these things can't be good, right?

See if you can locate a Hotel & Restaurant Supply near you. They can supply you with filet knives and oyster knives. Dexter/Russell would be a good brand. There is no need to spend a fortune here.

The best scaling knife is a spoon right out of your kitchen drawer.

While it does take some strength to shuck oysters, it is more of a technique, rather than "sheer brut force"

Have Fun & Be Careful

I second UB's opinion about Dexter/ Russell. With respect to clam knives, I prefer a wide blade which permits the spine to be realatively thick even with a flat grind taper from the edge to the spine. Many bait and tackle stores carry effective all metal toothed scalers. While some wood handled knives may have aesthetic appeal, they can be a pain to maintain; sani-safe handle material is more practical.

Back
Top Bottom