"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 10-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thowing.Fire.Twice View Post
I was thinking of getting a magnetic wall block, and thanks for that. Didn't know something that useful could look that good for some reason.
You really can't go wrong with a MagBlok. They are a beautiful addition to any kitchen, and the way I figure it, if you have beautiful knives, show them off. Don't hide them in a wooden block or a drawer. The picture below is a leopardwood (see the spots) MagBlok on the wall at my summer place in Wausau, WI. See, we're neighbors too. The knives from left to right are a Murray Carter Nakiri (vegetable slicer), Murray Carter Funiyuki (general purpose), Takeda Gyuto - looks like a big Santoku but it's not, Kikuichi Elite Carbon Sujihiki, WWII era French Sabatier (Thiers-Issard) Chef's knife, and last but definitely not least, a 300mm Hiromoto High Carbon Gyuto.

You don't see my wife's knives because they're in a drawer where they belong.

Oh yeah, and here's the proof that I do use plastic cutting boards for special purposes. In this case, trimming and cubing queen conch for chowder. I make a huge pot every couple weeks when I'm here in Florida. I love to cook.

Buzz

Old 10-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #12
Cook

Sounds like its worth it to me, for the board I mean :) I really like the Boos boards and magblocks too. Thanks for the links and help.

I figured that you were stuck with the style of handle because of the way the blade itself was made, so that is no big deal. But thanks for the info, and the links, and everything.

By the way, that looks delicious! If only I wasn't allergic to iodine :( It happens, I guess. But it sucks to miss out on an entire food group because of it.

If I'm allowed to ask, how much does a good set of five or six, plus the mag block run a person? Just wondering how much I need to fetter away before her birthday :)

If anyone has more suggestions feel free, I got planning to do :)

Old 10-30-2008, 05:53 AM   #13
Cook

wow, sorry I missed this thread

shoot me an email and will chat

Sean