ISO help/advice sharpening Global knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tzakiel

Cook
I have amassed a small collection of global knives. I also have the global ceramic rod.

Lately I have started to notice small indentations/nicks in the edges of some of the knives. I don't use the rod much, just a few swipes now and then, and I try to maintain the proper angle. It doesn't seem to do enough to even out the little anomalies though.

Can I take these knives to a sur la table or williams sonoma and have them sharpened? I am afraid they will do something to give them a different edge profile than Global intended.

Is it worth investing in a chef's choice electric? Again, the edge profile issue... ? Am I worrying too much?

The rod only realigns the edge, but over time it’s necessary to sharpen, as you’ve surmised. First of all there is no magic to Global's edge, at least as far as geometry. Either learn how to use a stone or find someone who does. In my opinion the worst thing you can do to a quality knife is to use an electric sharpener. I have a couple Global knives in my collection and they are probably the easiest to bring back, due to the extremely thin steel used.

I agree about electric sharpeners. I've had a couple of Chef's Choice models and was never satisfied with the results. They will not sharpen all the way back to to the bolster. Unless you're very careful, they tend to round the tip. They will all put scratches on the sides of the blade. Most importantly, they produce a mediocre edge at best. I've never tried Global's Minosharp ceramic wheel sharpener, but have heard good reports about it.

Personally, I use ceramic rods sharpeners for most of my knives - Spyderco Sharpmaker, Lansky Turnbox, Lansky Rod Guide System. I don't own any Globals, but I understand they have either 15 or 17 degree non-beveled edges. The Sharpmaker will sharpen at 15 degrees. The Lansky Rod Guide will sharpen at 17 degrees.

The Sharpmaker will sharpen at 15 degrees. The Lansky Rod Guide will sharpen at 17 degrees.

The Globals should be sharpened at more like 10*, at least those that will never touch bone. Buy a couple of stones, 1k and a 2k and learn how to free hand. It's not hard at all. I would never ever give an edge to a "professional" sharpener I didn't know personally except for maybe a lawn mower.

Edit to above: Don't worry about Global's edges. They are fat because they assume the Western customer will abuse them, like Shun's at 16*. Make your own edges and enjoy your knives the way they should be.

Freehand sharpening on fairly fine stones is the way to go, in my opinion. I like using a tilted stone, since it seems easier for me to hold a knife flat than at an otherwise fairly arbitrary angle! Coarse DMT stones are good for setting the bevel angle, while I like Shapton Glass Stones for polishing up to 500, 1000, and 2000 grit before stropping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP9tII6Tp7s

I would say just get some stones and sharpen it yourself. I use the japanese ones. #1000 to get the edge and polish it with like #6000. You can even go even higher with like #8000. 15 degree angle and start sharpening. Global sells a clip that goes on your knife so you can sharpen it at the correct angle without having to hold it freehanded. I believe you can either buy just the clips or you can get it in a kit with the clips and a #1000 stone. Use a ceramic or fine grit diamond honing rod to maintain the edge. It's not as hard as it sounds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom