ISO help/information on ceramic knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never seen a ceramic knife before, but today I saw one at the store for about 60 USD. What's the deal with these things, and are they worth anywhere near the amount of money being charged for them?

Ceramic knives are about the sharpest knives you can find and they hold their edge for much longer than steel knives. The down side is that ceramic is very brittle and can break if dropped. The must be professionally sharpened with special equipment.

From my experience, I have a ceramic peeler and couldn't be happier with it. It peels things like sweet potatoes like melted butter. And, yes, they do have to be treated gently, but I wouldn't be without my ceramic peeler.

Now, your question was about knives, of which I have no experience. Just wait for further answers. They will come.

Japanese cermic knives are outrageously expensive, but you can buy the Chinese versions for a reasonable price. I have a 6-inch Chinese made ceramic chef's knife I bought on line at Target (they don't sell them in their stores) with a gift card I got last Chirstmas. I bought it strictly for cutting vegetables, especially lettuce, because lettuce won't react to ceramic, but it also works great for cutting paper thin tomato slices. I think it cost me around 45 bucks, including shipping.

You can also buy Shenshen brand ceramic knives out of Hawaii.

Last edited:
I have two ceramic knives and absolutely love them! They are super sharp and stay sharp for a very long time - longer than traditional knives. When the time does come to sharpen them - the company sharpens them for free - I think it is a $5 shipping cost for up to three knives. I hear they are more fragile - if you drop one for instance - however, I have not broken or chipped one yet. They are very very hard to find in stores - I think DH bought one in an Ace Hardware store. I bought my other one from this website -

http://www.kyoceraadvancedceramics.com/

Any knife I buy in the future will be ceramic.

I have one and really like it, howere, it is not my "go to" knife. It is used strictly for dicing veggies and cutting easily bruised leaves(basil, spinach etc...) I use other knives for meat and everydaay kitchen abuse. (Remember that is ME, i know people that use it for EVERYTHING and they do great) BE CAREFUL with ceramics as mentioned above...it hits the floor and you hit something else because you out some cash....YES, i have seen it, if i can find the pic ill post it.

I have 2 ceramic santukos, a ceramic paring knife and a ceramic peeler. All by Kyocera.

I use them on veggies, herbs, meat with no bones.

I love them. But they are fragile. If you are hard on your knives they probably aren't a good choice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom