ISO Help selecting a chef's knife as a gift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have to be able to hit what you aim at with one of those... too dangerous for me. :ermm: I find it easy to cut right through the joint.

I dismembered enough in about 10 minutes to completely fill 2 half sheet pans the other day, cutting the tips to save for stock, then separating the drumettes from the good part. ;)

A cleaver would be used like a knife. You don't swing and chop, you slide it in the joint and push down.

I guess I'm "old-school" again. My Chef knife is a 10" Chicago Cutlery carbon steel blade with a full-length tang and wooden handles. It has just the right amount of "rock" on a cutting board and good balance. A few passes with a sharpening steel keeps it razor sharp. It is 20 years old and still shows no wear. Like me, my kitchen tools are simple and basic.

A cleaver would be used like a knife. You don't swing and chop, you slide it in the joint and push down.

If that's the case, then I don't see the point. I know that I have more control over a chefs knife than I do over a cleaver. I have a nice Chinese cleaver that I haven't used in 10 years because it just doesn't have the good feel of my Wusthof chef.

Talk about using the wrong knife for the neatest results: I use a thin-bladed flexible serrated vegetable knife to easily maneuver and slice through the various joints when I'm parting up fowl for cooking. I've never owned a cleaver of any kind and don't think my cutting style would suit a cleaver. I lean more toward the surgeon than the butcher.

Talk about using the wrong knife for the neatest results: I use a thin-bladed flexible serrated vegetable knife to easily maneuver and slice through the various joints when I'm parting up fowl for cooking. I've never owned a cleaver of any kind and don't think my cutting style would suit a cleaver. I lean more toward the surgeon than the butcher.

If I'm disjointing a chicken, I'll use my Wusthof boning knife. Just enough flexibility to feel your way through a joint, but sharp and sturdy enough to cut the tough fibers.

Back
Top Bottom