"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Whatever Knife you decide on don't forget the recipient must PAY for it. We would pay a penny, (for you over the pond I guess it would be a dime?) It's only a gesture because It's bad luck to 'give' a blade, and we don't want any of that do we!! No, we don't.
I wonder how did this custom manage to be the same in Russia/Ukraine and in France?

As far as knife, CW are you planing to buy one knife only for that kind of money?
Also About Wusthof, I have a set of the original ones and I love it.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I wonder how did this custom manage to be the same in Russia/Ukraine and in France?

As far as knife, CW are you planing to buy one knife only for that kind of money?
Also About Wusthof, I have a set of the original ones and I love it.
Yes, one very high-quality (well, maybe not high if one is a professional chef, but for the home cook) chef's knife.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Thanks for the right term--bolstered heel. If I were to give this person a gift certificate, the person would not use it because the person would insist I cannot afford it. I have been setting aside $ from extra projects (cooking, helping with people's gardens, personal shopper) for this gift (money I won't miss--what my mom would call "mad money.") Obviously, this person has a more comfortable lifestyle than I do and can afford a good knife (or two or three). The thing is, I went years without a good knife--had great pans, etc., but lousy knives. I think a good knife is a great gift, and will include a quarter in the card.
Surely she must know that gift certificates are already bought and paid for. If she didn't use it it would be your money thrown away.
Does this person live near you so that you could go shopping together?
You are very articulate and if you explained what you just said, I can't imagine her refusing a gift like that from the heart.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Yes, one very high-quality (well, maybe not high if one is a professional chef, but for the home cook) chef's knife.

Then I say you should look into Japanese knives.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Whatever Knife you decide on don't forget the recipient must PAY for it. We would pay a penny, (for you over the pond I guess it would be a dime?) It's only a gesture because It's bad luck to 'give' a blade, and we don't want any of that do we!! No, we don't.
Great minds think alike. I was going just about to say the same thing.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Never put knives in the sink, much less in the dishwasher! I'm surprised PF didn't catch that. I'm thinking the 9-inch size. Is the back (heel) of the blade "protected"? I can't tell from the picture. That is one thing I insist on when shopping for a chef's knife. I guess I could go into a store rather than shop online, but I am trying to limit my trips into the City now that it is road construction season.
Tell me about it! It took me 3 hours to drive a 60 mile journey yesterday because of all the road works en route!
Old 06-07-2014, 12:36 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Thanks for the right term--bolstered heel. If I were to give this person a gift certificate, the person would not use it because the person would insist I cannot afford it. I have been setting aside $ from extra projects (cooking, helping with people's gardens, personal shopper) for this gift (money I won't miss--what my mom would call "mad money.") Obviously, this person has a more comfortable lifestyle than I do and can afford a good knife (or two or three). The thing is, I went years without a good knife--had great pans, etc., but lousy knives. I think a good knife is a great gift, and will include a quarter in the card.
First, if you would rather give an actual knife rather than a gift certificate, I suggest you get the knife YOU think your friend would like and be sure to include the gift receipt. That way, in the event they need to return the knife, the store will be able to let the recipient know what replacement value they can look at. Or, if you buy it online, perhaps that seller also provides gift receipts. But at least by giving them "a" knife they'll know what price point you were comfortable with. They can decide if they want to spend even more for one cook's knife...or buy two or more less-expensive knives instead.

When selecting the length of the blade, keep the height of the recipient in mind. Himself bought me a lovely cook's knife. It had a 12" blade. At the time I was just a shade under 5' 7". He uses it since it's a perfect fit for his 6' 2" frame. When I was cleaning my folks' home out I took my Mom's 10" knife. Like new, but then she was only 5' on a good day. Still a bit too long for me, so our daughter (5' 9") got it. I bought an 8" "seconds" knife at the Dexter-Russell outlet a nice drive from our house. It's more like an 8 1/2" knife but it cost me only $3.70. I love it! Right fit, nice handle, and it keeps a good sharp edge. Although that brand isn't a high-end one, I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for nice, basic knives.

FWIW, I have a friend with the last name of "Bolster".
Old 06-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #28
Master Chef

A 12 inch blade is like a sword!

Standard chefs knife is 8 inches.

I use that and 6 inch santuko most of the time.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
A 12 inch blade is like a sword!

Standard chefs knife is 8 inches.

I use that and 6 inch santuko most of the time.
I agree. I use 8" and 6" chef's knives. I've never felt I needed a longer one.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I agree. I use 8" and 6" chef's knives. I've never felt I needed a longer one.
The intended recipient is 5'4", but has "bear paw" hands (I am taller--5'6", but my hands are smaller). We often cook together and I've been "noting" which of my knives are the ones used. So far, my 9" chef's knives seem to be the "go to" knives in my kitchen.

Tags
chef, knife