"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Thanks for the right term--bolstered heel. If I were to give this person a gift certificate, the person would not use it because the person would insist I cannot afford it. I have been setting aside $ from extra projects (cooking, helping with people's gardens, personal shopper) for this gift (money I won't miss--what my mom would call "mad money.") Obviously, this person has a more comfortable lifestyle than I do and can afford a good knife (or two or three). The thing is, I went years without a good knife--had great pans, etc., but lousy knives. I think a good knife is a great gift, and will include a quarter in the card.
I've found that the primary feature of a bolstered blade is that the bolster can make the knife hard to properly sharpen with some types of sharpeners. I have several chef knives from different brands. I have two Wusthofs (6" and 10") and one Chicago Cutlery (8") with forged bolstered blades; one Cutco (9"), and one Old Homestead (8-9") with stamped blades and no bolsters.

I use the Wusthofs most of the time, but the Chicago has a very similar feel. The Cutco is my chicken wing prep knife - not as comfortable in my hand and the handle tends to be slippery, so it just gets used for cutting through the wing joints. The Homestead has a fairly comfortable wood handle, but mostly just sits in a drawer.

For me, bolster makes no difference in how the knife performs. The real difference is how a knife feels when you hold it and cut with it. The shape of the Wusthof handle just fits the way I use a knife. I have a 6" and 10" chef and a 5" boning knife, and those are by far my most used knives.

I have 3" and 2Ĺ" Chicago Cutlery paring/utility knives and they are really the only other knives I use for general prep work. I have one bread knife that's used for bread.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #32
Master Chef

I am 5'6". My favorite knife size is 10". I of course have an 8" one. Those I use the most. But I do have a 12" too. And I probably would use it too, if the counter top was just s bit shorter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Old 06-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #33
Master Chef

I like Wusthof because they fit my hand.

Shun knives are uncomfortable to me.

But a Shun knife (or another beautiful Japanese knife) is IMO a more impressive gift that a Wusthof.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

I like a bolstered heel because I don't like the nicks that I have sufferd from the unbolstered heel.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I wonder how did this custom manage to be the same in Russia/Ukraine and in France?
Apparently in Korea, too.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #36
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I like a bolstered heel because I don't like the nicks that I have sufferd from the unbolstered heel.
I have gotten a few nicks from the Hattori knives when my attention drifted.

I am less worried about that then what really could happen. I was splitting wings one night and missed the joint with the boning knife. It slipped through so easy peasy, I looked at the wing, then my finger. I pay very close attention when using that one.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Frank, I use a cleaver to segment wings. It make the job easy.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #38
Master Chef

I use my kitchen shears to cut wings.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Frank, I use a cleaver to segment wings. It make the job easy.
You have to be able to hit what you aim at with one of those... too dangerous for me. I find it easy to cut right through the joint.

I dismembered enough in about 10 minutes to completely fill 2 half sheet pans the other day, cutting the tips to save for stock, then separating the drumettes from the good part.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:49 PM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

Knife, scissors, cleaver. Whatever works.

Tags
chef, knife