"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO Help selecting a chef's knife as a gift

I am willing to spend $200-250 for a chef's knife as a gift for s/one very special in my life. My problem is I can't decide which knife. If s/one were to buy you a chef's knife as a gift, which from the ones listed here would you covet the most? I know, several pages to browse through, but any input/help would be appreciated.

http://www.shop.ca/SearchDisplay?searchTermScope=&searchType=1000&fil terTerm=&orderBy=[Ljava.lang.String%3B%406d966d96&maxPrice=&showResu ltsPage=true&langId=-1&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&metaData=&pageSi ze=24&manufacturer=&resultCatEntryType=2&catalogId =10301&pageView=imageOnly&searchTerm=chef+knife&fa cet=&minPrice=&categoryId=&directoryQuery=&directo ryTypeDisplay=&storeId=10201

Obviously, I am also willing to spend less, but want a knife that will last this person a lifetime, be a great tool, and be a nice wedding gift.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:43 AM   #2
Executive Chef

My recommendation is for one of the 3 Wusthof chef knives, 9 inch. Mostly because we have several of these and they are most functional, not too heavy. and they stay sharp quite a while. I remember a "knife sharpening thread" some time ago, but I prefer to take mine to an old guy who hand sharpens knives when needed. Neither of us have a dishwasher/ or rather we are our own up to the elbows, so I don't know if people put their knives in dishwashers.

There were 3 I looked at on your link and I did not care so much for the Classic Ikon one because the handle is different than other knives your giftee may have or is used to using. And speaking of "feel". Since this is a wedding gift, what size of hand does the main knife user have. If they both are likely to use, then I have no response to offer.

I gave DxW an 8 inch one a couple years ago and she love's it and uses it more often than other knives, incl the 9 inch size. She is quite small as is her hand, and probably feels more right sized for her.

I also like the Wusthof Asian Knife Set ( see their search box) I have one that looks like the larger size.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:45 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Does the Wusthof have a "guard" at the back (between the handle and the blade)? That is definitely something I appreciate after having worked with chef's knives that did not have that edge finished--ended up with a lot of "paper" cuts. BTW, thanks for the input on Wusthof. One always wonders if they are as good as ads claim.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Since a knife is a personal choice, I would suggest a gift certificate. I know they can exchange a gift, but would need the receipt.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
Master Chef

I agree with Craig.

I'm sorry but a Chef's knife is such a very personal choice that I would never give a $$ as a gift.

They need to fit in your hand correctly, be a perfect weight and length, have a great blade, be pleasing in appearance, etc.

Knives are like shoes. You definitely need to try them out before you buy.

That said, if you really want to impress with a $250 knife as a gift, I'd buy a fancy Japanese one, rather than a pedestrian Wusthof. They are beautiful, well made, sharp and impressive.

But for me they don't fit my hand well and I prefer my very ordinary wusthofs
Old 06-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Whatever Knife you decide on don't forget the recipient must PAY for it. We would pay a penny, (for you over the pond I guess it would be a dime?) It's only a gesture because It's bad luck to 'give' a blade, and we don't want any of that do we!! No, we don't.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
Head Chef

If I went out to buy a knive for a gift I would get something that I would want.A "Shun" comes to mind. Around $275.00.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Whatever Knife you decide on don't forget the recipient must PAY for it. We would pay a penny, (for you over the pond I guess it would be a dime?) It's only a gesture because It's bad luck to 'give' a blade, and we don't want any of that do we!! No, we don't.
Didn't know that. That explains why no one every bought the knives I selected as part of my bridal registry...
Old 06-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Didn't know that. That explains why no one every bought the knives I selected as part of my bridal registry...
Many people believe that if you give a knife to a friend it will sever the relationship.

That is why the recipient needs to pay for it.

It is acceptable to include a penny with the knife and then have the person use it to pay you.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
My recommendation is for one of the 3 Wusthof chef knives, 9 inch. Mostly because we have several of these and they are most functional, not too heavy. and they stay sharp quite a while. I remember a "knife sharpening thread" some time ago, but I prefer to take mine to an old guy who hand sharpens knives when needed. Neither of us have a dishwasher/ or rather we are our own up to the elbows, so I don't know if people put their knives in dishwashers.

There were 3 I looked at on your link and I did not care so much for the Classic Ikon one because the handle is different than other knives your giftee may have or is used to using. And speaking of "feel". Since this is a wedding gift, what size of hand does the main knife user have. If they both are likely to use, then I have no response to offer.

I gave DxW an 8 inch one a couple years ago and she love's it and uses it more often than other knives, incl the 9 inch size. She is quite small as is her hand, and probably feels more right sized for her.

I also like the Wusthof Asian Knife Set ( see their search box) I have one that looks like the larger size.
Never put knives in the sink, much less in the dishwasher! I'm surprised PF didn't catch that. I'm thinking the 9-inch size. Is the back (heel) of the blade "protected"? I can't tell from the picture. That is one thing I insist on when shopping for a chef's knife. I guess I could go into a store rather than shop online, but I am trying to limit my trips into the City now that it is road construction season.

Tags
chef, knife