ISO Help selecting a chef's knife as a gift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I am willing to spend $200-250 for a chef's knife as a gift for s/one very special in my life. My problem is I can't decide which knife. If s/one were to buy you a chef's knife as a gift, which from the ones listed here would you covet the most? I know, several pages to browse through, but any input/help would be appreciated.

http://www.shop.ca/SearchDisplay?searchTermScope=&searchType=1000&filterTerm=&orderBy=[Ljava.lang.String%3B%406d966d96&maxPrice=&showResultsPage=true&langId=-1&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&metaData=&pageSize=24&manufacturer=&resultCatEntryType=2&catalogId=10301&pageView=imageOnly&searchTerm=chef+knife&facet=&minPrice=&categoryId=&directoryQuery=&directoryTypeDisplay=&storeId=10201

Obviously, I am also willing to spend less, but want a knife that will last this person a lifetime, be a great tool, and be a nice wedding gift.

Last edited:
My recommendation is for one of the 3 Wusthof chef knives, 9 inch. Mostly because we have several of these and they are most functional, not too heavy. and they stay sharp quite a while. I remember a "knife sharpening thread" some time ago, but I prefer to take mine to an old guy who hand sharpens knives when needed. Neither of us have a dishwasher/ or rather we are our own up to the elbows, so I don't know if people put their knives in dishwashers.

There were 3 I looked at on your link and I did not care so much for the Classic Ikon one because the handle is different than other knives your giftee may have or is used to using. And speaking of "feel". Since this is a wedding gift, what size of hand does the main knife user have. If they both are likely to use, then I have no response to offer.

I gave DxW an 8 inch one a couple years ago and she love's it and uses it more often than other knives, incl the 9 inch size. She is quite small as is her hand, and probably feels more right sized for her.

I also like the Wusthof Asian Knife Set ( see their search box) I have one that looks like the larger size.

Does the Wusthof have a "guard" at the back (between the handle and the blade)? That is definitely something I appreciate after having worked with chef's knives that did not have that edge finished--ended up with a lot of "paper" cuts. BTW, thanks for the input on Wusthof. One always wonders if they are as good as ads claim.

Since a knife is a personal choice, I would suggest a gift certificate. I know they can exchange a gift, but would need the receipt.

I agree with Craig.

I'm sorry but a Chef's knife is such a very personal choice that I would never give a $$ as a gift.

They need to fit in your hand correctly, be a perfect weight and length, have a great blade, be pleasing in appearance, etc.

Knives are like shoes. You definitely need to try them out before you buy.

That said, if you really want to impress with a $250 knife as a gift, I'd buy a fancy Japanese one, rather than a pedestrian Wusthof. They are beautiful, well made, sharp and impressive.

But for me they don't fit my hand well and I prefer my very ordinary wusthofs

Whatever Knife you decide on don't forget the recipient must PAY for it. We would pay a penny, (for you over the pond I guess it would be a dime?) It's only a gesture because It's bad luck to 'give' a blade, and we don't want any of that do we!! No, we don't.

If I went out to buy a knive for a gift I would get something that I would want.A "Shun" comes to mind. Around $275.00.

Whatever Knife you decide on don't forget the recipient must PAY for it. We would pay a penny, (for you over the pond I guess it would be a dime?) It's only a gesture because It's bad luck to 'give' a blade, and we don't want any of that do we!! No, we don't.
Didn't know that. That explains why no one every bought the knives I selected as part of my bridal registry...

Didn't know that. That explains why no one every bought the knives I selected as part of my bridal registry...

Many people believe that if you give a knife to a friend it will sever the relationship.

That is why the recipient needs to pay for it.

It is acceptable to include a penny with the knife and then have the person use it to pay you.

My recommendation is for one of the 3 Wusthof chef knives, 9 inch. Mostly because we have several of these and they are most functional, not too heavy. and they stay sharp quite a while. I remember a "knife sharpening thread" some time ago, but I prefer to take mine to an old guy who hand sharpens knives when needed. Neither of us have a dishwasher/ or rather we are our own up to the elbows, so I don't know if people put their knives in dishwashers.

There were 3 I looked at on your link and I did not care so much for the Classic Ikon one because the handle is different than other knives your giftee may have or is used to using. And speaking of "feel". Since this is a wedding gift, what size of hand does the main knife user have. If they both are likely to use, then I have no response to offer.

I gave DxW an 8 inch one a couple years ago and she love's it and uses it more often than other knives, incl the 9 inch size. She is quite small as is her hand, and probably feels more right sized for her.

I also like the Wusthof Asian Knife Set ( see their search box) I have one that looks like the larger size.
Never put knives in the sink, much less in the dishwasher! I'm surprised PF didn't catch that. I'm thinking the 9-inch size. Is the back (heel) of the blade "protected"? I can't tell from the picture. That is one thing I insist on when shopping for a chef's knife. I guess I could go into a store rather than shop online, but I am trying to limit my trips into the City now that it is road construction season.

There you go then. Wait'll I tell DxW we are doing something society thinks is right. Neither of us put our knives in the bottom of a dishpan full of dishes lest one cut one's fingers while washing up the plates.

None of the knives I use have a finger guard/ or however you are describing. ? . The blade depth is at its max before the handle and if you are gripping/ holding/ it properly your fingers shouldn't be down near the blade. I think the only time I cut myself is using a paring knife. And yes I occasionally still manage to do this.

If you are experiencing difficulty seeing a close up of the pics in your link, go to google images or Amazon and type in the make/ model/ info of the knives you are considereing. Or the product manufacturer itself. I am pretty sure on one of these sites you can "hover" over their images and it will enlarge for better views.

My thought is that a knife is a very personal choice, much as someone already pointed out as with trying on shoes. Everyone's hands are a different size and, in my case, have challenges. My challenge is arthritis, which makes holding some handle shapes problematic.

I think, if it is possible, I'd write a lovely note to the recipient and promise to accompany them to a knife store and allow them to touch, handle and feel various knives until they settle on one that is suitable. Not only would the recipient get the proper knife, you would have the pleasure of accompanying them. Your time shopping with your friend would be an added gift, something the one can't put a price on.

A 9 inch knife is pretty big.

My longest one is 8 inches. That's a standard chef's knife.

But again, length, shape, heft are all hugely personal factors.

My thought is that a knife is a very personal choice, much as someone already pointed out as with trying on shoes. Everyone's hands are a different size and, in my case, have challenges. My challenge is arthritis, which makes holding some handle shapes problematic.

I think, if it is possible, I'd write a lovely note to the recipient and promise to accompany them to a knife store and allow them to touch, handle and feel various knives until they settle on one that is suitable. Not only would the recipient get the proper knife, you would have the pleasure of accompanying them. Your time shopping with your friend would be an added gift, something the one can't put a price on.

+1 and at the checkout stand have them give you a penny. For what it's worth, my chef knife sits in the block while my Santoku knife does the daily work.

Last edited:
Since a knife is a personal choice, I would suggest a gift certificate. I know they can exchange a gift, but would need the receipt.

I agree that the knife should be a personal fit so would give a gift certificate.

^^^^^ These posts are how I would handle this.
I cannot count how many kitchen tools that have been given to me, that I did not like. Including a set of Henkels "ever sharp" knives!

Countless tools reside in my basement for my children to find when I am long gone. I would give the tools to them now, but have no idea where exactly they are. In several odd boxes, I'm certain.
Maybe if we do move one day, I can find all these things. Would make one hell of a yard sale.

Last edited:

I think this is a great idea :)

MY knife is the 240mm (9.4 inch) Hatori HD8. I had been using an 8inch Henckle before that. When I pick up an 8inch knife it feels really small now. Sometimes I wish I had gone to th3 270mm (10.6 inch).

Mind you these knives do not have a bolstered heel, which is what you are looking for.

And mine was a gift

Thanks for the right term--bolstered heel. If I were to give this person a gift certificate, the person would not use it because the person would insist I cannot afford it. I have been setting aside $ from extra projects (cooking, helping with people's gardens, personal shopper) for this gift (money I won't miss--what my mom would call "mad money.") Obviously, this person has a more comfortable lifestyle than I do and can afford a good knife (or two or three). The thing is, I went years without a good knife--had great pans, etc., but lousy knives. I think a good knife is a great gift, and will include a quarter in the card.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom