"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 05-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Help With Knives and Sharpeners

So been lurking this site for quite a while, particularly the knives section and wanted to send out a big thanks to all the posters here (particularly Rob Babcock) for all the great info. Really helped narrow down my choices.

Looking at picking up some Tojiro DP (either the 2 or 3 piece from CKtG):

Tojiro Knives 2 Pc Set
Tojiro 3pc Set

They seem like a great deal for the money and based off what I've read here I will likely be going with them. I'm also still somewhat considering Hattori HD, Global, Messermeister and Wusthof but all are more expensive and from what I've read here the only one that seems significantly better is the Hattori?

I'm not sure whether to get 8 or 10 inch (I've read several threads on that here) so I'm going to try to get a feel for the difference at a local store, but the knife stores around here are pretty abysmal.

I guess my biggest question is what to buy for sharpening. I have no experience so obviously will take time to learn how to do it properly. I see the Apex Edge Pro recommended a lot but the cheapest setup ($160) is more than I'll be paying for the Knives themselves (unless I end up going with Hattori/Global/Wusthof). Any more affordable options out there? I'm not against spending up to $250 for a total setup (including sharpener) but seems wrong to spend more on sharpening tools than the knives themselves.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Forgot to add MAC, Fujiwara and Masamoto to my list of considerations.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Head Chef

You don't have to spend a lot on a sharpening/honing tool. It's far more important to have read the instructions than to have spent a lot of money. Many simply don't read them.

I keep one of these out all the time.
Amazon.com: Chef's Choice 440 2-Stage Manual Sharpener: Kitchen & Dining

I touch up any knife I pick up that was used for any significant work previously. Twenty passes through the left side sharpening slot and twenty passes through the right side honing slot is enough under normal conditions. More work on the sharpening side is called for with a knife that's been abused or hasn't been sharpened after a lot of use or after being used on an accursed glass cutting board. It will also do serrated blades.

With $100 knives, why would you ever let them get badly out of shape, and if they did get into bad shape, an amateurish job of redoing the blade angle is a bad deal and should be farmed out to someone. If you want the experience of freehand honing, fine. But I want to grab the tool and have a sharp knife in a few seconds.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
Head Chef

That EP Apex is more important than the knives, truth be told. The initial investment may seem high but you'll be experience a lifetime of better-than-new sharpness with every knife you own.

I'll elaborate a bit more after work.

BTW, welcome to DC! I'm pleased that my input was useful to you.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks, appreciate it.

I'm not professional chef or anything, so it seems crazy to spend that kind of money on a sharpener, I just want to keep the thing in good shape.

But you guys are far more knowledgeable than me, so recommend away!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

What about some cheaper sharpeners? Ie: I've heard good things about Lansky, AccuSharp, Chef's Choice and just using whetstones (though obviously would need to learn how to use properly)
Old 05-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Sometimes you can overthink something. Chef's Choice or the one GLC showed you will do the job nicely.

If you were a trained Chef from CIA or other school, I could understand your NEED to have the best. A whet stone for the average cook is a waste of money and time. Do you really want to stand there for twenty minutes sharpening just one knife while your meat is sitting there waiting to be cut? For some cuts of meat you will need to use more than one knife. That is more than a half hour sharpening them. What time did you plan on getting your meal on the table? Go with the KISS theory. It makes life so much easier.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...Do you really want to stand there for twenty minutes sharpening just one knife while your meat is sitting there waiting to be cut?...
I suppose you could sharpen your knives some other time so they'd be ready for meal preparation...
Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the advice... I don't think I can justify buying an Edgepro on my budget.

Looking at either the Spyderco Sharpmarker or the Chef's Choice Model 463. Any opinions/recommendations?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I suppose you could sharpen your knives some other time so they'd be ready for meal preparation...
You have great faith in human kind. It will all be a new toy. And you know how it is when you get a new toy.

Tags
knives