ISO knife advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
i'm going out to williams sonoma tomorrow to get a new knife and a new clad pan.
i know which pan i want for sure but i'm not sure about the knife.
it's a toss-up between:
-5" wustof grand prix II hollow-ground santoku (although i am kind of eyeing the 7" now)
-shun classic 6" santoku
-shun 7" classic hollow-ground santoku
i'm leaning most towards the shun 7". but i wanted to see what you guys think first. soooooo.... what do you think?:-p

They are all quality knives. The deciding factor will be when you go to the store and handle them. One of them will feel "right". That is the one you should buy.

thanks, GB. i followed your advice and found the perfect one.

i got a 5" classic hollow ground wusthof and i'm in love with it already. it's just right for me. it fits my hand so well. my knife skills improved immediately upon using it. i've just recently learned how to chop really fast like they do on tv and w/ the wusthof it became so much easier. and you should see that baby mince onions!
this is the 1st really good knife that i've bought; i just used my Dad's barely-mediocre ones before. i have a few sets of my own, one of which i'd forgotten about until today, but i haven't used them yet so i think i'm gonna return them.
i'm so glad i bought that knife. it's awesome.

Last edited:
I made the same decision recently. Part of my decision was based on the kind of steel used. My logic may be flawed but it worked for me and Im happy with the results.

The Santoku is a japanese blade. It was designed in japan and has been made in japan for many years (with japanese steel). The Shun knives are made in Japan by a japanese company.

The Wustoff knives are made in Germany (I think) by a german company with german steel.

That wasn't what I wanted so I went with the company with more experience making a Japanese blade and I'm VERY happy with the results.

No matter the quality of the Wustoff knife, its still a german company playing at making a japanese knife.

Mr_Dove said:
I made the same decision recently. Part of my decision was based on the kind of steel used. My logic may be flawed but it worked for me and Im happy with the results.

The Santoku is a japanese blade. It was designed in japan and has been made in japan for many years (with japanese steel). The Shun knives are made in Japan by a japanese company.

The Wustoff knives are made in Germany (I think) by a german company with german steel.

That wasn't what I wanted so I went with the company with more experience making a Japanese blade and I'm VERY happy with the results.

No matter the quality of the Wustoff knife, its still a german company playing at making a japanese knife.

i love my knife. it's just what i wanted. where it was made doesn't matter to me. that's just a technicality. if you're skilled at designing knives, then where you come from isn't going to affect the product that you put on the market. if a product is of high quality, that's what matters to me.
i was thinking about a shun, but i held them and looked them over and they just weren't what i was looking for.
like i said, the wusthof was just right for me. and they've made a customer for life.

Mr Dove do you own any other knives? Do you have a Chefs knife which is also knows as a French knife? Did you buy one made from French steel (is there even such a thing)? I see your point, but for me I would go with the knife that works best in my hand no matter where it was made as long as it was a good quality product. Great knives have been coming out of Germany and Japan for a very long time. Shun is a very good knife maker, but I doubt the Shun Santoku is any better than the Wustoff just because it uses Japanese steel. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom