ISO multi purpose filet knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jujube246

Assistant Cook
So i have been deciding on getting some filet knives I can use for preparing my steak and fish... Can anyone help me out with an affordable set but something that is durable. Thanks

What are you doing to a steak that requires a filet knife?

Many fishermen use inexpensive filet knives for fish they get at a sporting goods store.

I buy my steaks in whole and I cut my steaks myself and individually seal them. More cost effective for me.

I do that too. I buy boneless beef sirloin strips, tenderloins, etc. and slice them into steaks and roasts. I do the same with pork loins. I typically use a chef's knife or even a slicer (carving knife). For slicing whole cuts of meats, you need a stiff sharp blade to give you straight cuts so each steak is uniform in thickness.

A filet knife for fish is completely different. It's a thin flexible blade you can easily work to cleanly remove the flesh from the sides of a fish.

I don't think yo need a set. One knife for slicing meats and another for fileting fish. Depending on what you already have, you may only need one knife.

Oh well I use a filet knife to remove the tough silverskin or a boning knife since I buy my tenderloin whole in the cryobag like resturaunts do... As you know as pismo. That's the reason I need new filet knives and boning knives... And that's why I am looking for a filet set... Cuz it comes with a boning knife too.

Ya I have... They are pretty hard to find since lots are individually sold but they are out there.. I just don't know if it's better to get a set or just buy individual.

I'd buy individually. Especially since the best filet knife and the best boning knife may be made by different manufacturers.

Check out Victorinox knives. They are affordable and very good.

Andy M. said:
I do that too. I buy boneless beef sirloin strips, tenderloins, etc. and slice them into steaks and roasts. I do the same with pork loins. I typically use a chef's knife or even a slicer (carving knife). For slicing whole cuts of meats, you need a stiff sharp blade to give you straight cuts so each steak is uniform in thickness.

A filet knife for fish is completely different. It's a thin flexible blade you can easily work to cleanly remove the flesh from the sides of a fish.

I don't think yo need a set. One knife for slicing meats and another for fileting fish. Depending on what you already have, you may only need one knife.

Same here.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, get a Forschner Fibrox boning knife. It will run you about $25-$30. I've cleaned an portioned literally tons of PSMOs over the years with that knife.

LamsonSharp makes some pretty nice highly stain resistant moderately hardened (chip resistant) stuff whose edges can be maintained with relative ease using proper steeling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom