ISO - The Best Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm looking for a good meat cutting knife, a boning knife and cleaver. I heard of Japanese cleavers I'm also interested in. I am not looking for anything outrageous, but for a few knives maybe $100? Is that bad? I just don't know Steve generally what a good "price" is for a "good" knife as opposed to something "extraordinary"
These will be over $100,but worth it.
Fujiwara FKM Stainless Gyuto 240mm $83
CCK Small Cleaver $41.95
Victorinox Flexible Straight Boning Knife 6" $21.95
F Dick 5" Boning Knife $44.95
$146.90-$169.90 total,free shipping

Last edited:
When I was looking for a good knife for less than $50, I shopped for vintage carbon steel Sabatiers on Ebay [like those Julia Child used to use on her early TV shows]. Back then, I found lots of great knives cheaply.

I don't know if you can replicate my finds today.

You know those Yellow handled Henckel knives are ugly as sin, but I have friends that use them and swear by them. They don't cost a fortune, because they don't have exotic wood handles, I guess. Sanelli has good knives in the Premana line. They are reasonable for their quality. The handles are green and have a red band. they keep a good edge and do what they say they are supposed to. Wüsthof and Henckel seem to want to produce a work of art, that is pretty good, but even some of the reviews of Wüsthoff Classic have been spotty.

I would suggest that one go to americastestkitchen.com and go to Equipment review and go to knife sets. they have a really good suggestion, they even have a video of that episode. You might find it helpful.

Last edited:
I bought Sanelli knives 3 months ago and they are very good indeed! They keep their edge, and they are great for my humble cooking skills. I now that I will have them for along time.

I've owned a lotta different knives over the years, but the knives that now become my favorites, are the cheap KAI PureKomachi 2 knives, that you can buy for about 9 to 20 bucks, off Ebay.
Color coded, with very thin blades, that will sharpen so you can shave with them.
I sharpen with a 3 dollar sharpener, that I bought from Sportsman warehouse.

Attachments

• dec 2013 058.jpg
    dec 2013 058.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 293
I've owned a lotta different knives over the years, but the knives that now become my favorites, are the cheap KAI PureKomachi 2 knives, that you can buy for about 9 to 20 bucks, off Ebay.
Color coded, with very thin blades, that will sharpen so you can shave with them.
I sharpen with a 3 dollar sharpener, that I bought from Sportsman warehouse.

I think those are very good knives for the money.

The hyper link is America's Test Kitchen Equipment Reviews :) Had to go to FAQ and find out how to make a link!

Gee it looks weird, but there you go!

I felt like a troll on youtube after wading through the videos from ATK and commenting. -Especially when it came to their product reviews! Seriously some of the most idiotic crap came out of their mouths and it all smacked of paid advertising. My internal lie detector even kept going off.

The best knives are going to depend on the user, and the applications. Sadly I see even professionals using knives with the wrong techniques for the particular knife style. Even the higher priced knives will mix the wrong handle and blade geometry with the type of knife.

It's not time to consider the best knife (for you) until you learn basic knife skills, maintenance, blade geometries, some metallurgy, and handle designs. When you see knives used on cooking shows; it's intentional. When you buy the knife; you're partly paying for that subtle ad while far cheaper knives tend to rate higher in customer reviews.

I wouldn't say get dollar store knives, but Chicago Cutlery, Farberware Pro, and Victorinox all make very nice Chef's knives for a sweet price. I wouldn't use these brands for Japanese style knives, and I wouldn't guess that Japanese make decent Euro/Ameri Chef's knives.

Back
Top Bottom