Just bought my first Shun! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mckrakken

Assistant Cook
Hiya all.. I'm a new poster here, although I've been reading and researching here for a little while now.

Thanks to all the info I've been able to gather I felt confident in making my first foray into Japenese style knives.. I bought a 6.5" Shun Santoku last night!

Funny story that goes with it.. My wife and I went to a dinner party and brought some pork chops to grill.. well they were THICK! I went to butterfly them with the host's knives and I was presented with the dullest knives I have EVER used! I could hack through the meat, but this knife would NOT cut through the pork fat... just couldn't do it! SO.. I felt kinda dumb, but I went out to the car and grabbed my knife.. and made a little show of being so excited about my new knife that I had to try it.. didn't want to offend them!

What an awesome knife! Made quick work of cutting up the chops for grilling. The Shun is well balanced and seemed to fit my hand pretty well, even for how big my hands are.

Initially I was kind of disappointed to see that the handle caters to a righty, being that I'm left handed. After a little use I found that it was perfectly comfortable in my left hand anyway. It would be nice to see a lefty model though!

Anway.. thanks for all the helpful input!

That is great! I love when I get a new knife - I go around the kitchen looking for things to slice! I'm so glad you decided to be a member - it's so nice to have you here!!!

Welcome aboard! I'm too am new here. By the way, what brand was the knife, how big? I've been looking into buying one as well. Thanx!

jkath said:
That is great! I love when I get a new knife - I go around the kitchen looking for things to slice! I'm so glad you decided to be a member - it's so nice to have you here!!!

*note to self: don't hang around jkath's kitchen when a new knife is present*

Thanks for the warm welcome!

The knife is this one here:
Kershaw Shun
6.5" Santoku
http://www.chefsresource.com/kershunclass.html

haha jkath.. I feel the same way! I'm sitting here at work wondering what I can cook tonite! I've almost called home and asked my wife to run and get stuff to make somethign that requires LOTS of chopping.. like stew! If I only had a stir fry pan.... :ROFLMAO:

I own that very same knife. It is the only knife I use in my kitchen and my wife and I both LOVE it to death. Wonderful knife.

Initially I was kind of disappointed to see that the handle caters to a righty, being that I'm left handed. After a little use I found that it was perfectly comfortable in my left hand anyway. It would be nice to see a lefty model though!

Mckrakken....I'm actually ambidextrous and have tried out Shun knives, and either the left or right handed model i just couldn't get it to feel right because of it being a "specific" handed knife.
However the link you posted for chefsresource.com does sell left handed shun knives.......
http://www.chefsresource.com/kershaw-shun-left-handed.html :chef:

wow, thanks BBQ fish!!

Now I'll have to see if my local Williams Sonoma can order me one. :)

mckrakken said:
wow, thanks BBQ fish!!

Now I'll have to see if my local Williams Sonoma can order me one. :)

No problem at all!!!!!
Although i do hope you are able to try it out as well, because it does make a difference!:chef:

I happened to leave my Santoku at my place in Nevada so I went to Linens & Things and bought another one. It was not a Kershaw Shun.

Just a Fauberware 7" Santoku like the one I left in Nevada. When they cost less than $10.00 I can afford to have one at each house!

Charlie

I live in a house with my cousins and when I got here the pots were all dented and warped. the knives were mostly those lazer ones I hate them and I really need a new set of knives anyway so I asked for them for christmas. LOL I would love a new set of pots as well but guess I will have to wait for them. When I moved from Alberta I left a lot of things I needed new knives and new pots even then. I brought my knives but most are in the garage in my boxes. I need to get to them and get a few knives I need to use. most of what I want for christmas is kitchen stuff. mind you I would love really good stuff but will be happy with very Nice stuff LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom