Kitchen knives - recommendation please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm amused that a member since 2005 is shocked that many of us who hang our hats here, often don't care how sharp our are knives are at any given moment.;)

It just surprises me that anyone who spends time on this forum and in the kitchen wouldn't recognize the advantages of keeping one's knives sharp.

Like Dawgluver's DH, I use a Chef's Choice sharpener. Mine is the 3 stage electric one which real knife geeks frown on, but it's the only electric that is recommended for use on my Wusthof knives. Takes about 30 seconds to renew the edge on my 10" chef with stage 2 and 3. I can do the 5 knives that I keep in the block in about 5 minutes. Then the hone is all I need for a couple of months at least.

Maybe it's something of a guy thing, although I don't know why that should be. All I know is that the women in my life (my Mom, God rest her soul, my sister, and my wife) all were converts once they learned what a pleasure a sharp knife is to use. But none of them (nor me really) even had more than a passing thought about it before I learned a bit about proper knife work in a classic essentials cooking class some 15 years ago. For me, it was like a light coming on. Now I have good knives (or at least knives made with good steel), and I try to take proper care of them.

Last edited:
I just have a really basic set of Farberware knives my hubby and I got as a housewarming present 7 years ago. I know they aren't the highest quality, but they work fine. Though it does surprise me that people who love to cook aren't too concerned about their knives being sharp. I can definitely tell when mine are getting dull, and have my husband sharpen them. The only "extra" knife I have is a "pumpkin knife" because I cook A LOT of squash and cut up a lot of melons in the summer. It looks like a bread knife with finer serrations and saves me so much frustration.

I used to think I needed at least two knives. A chefs knife (or equivalent like santoku) and a paring knife. When My wife and I split up I got the chefs knife and she kept the paring knife. Not once have I though "I really wish I still had a paring knife". Not to say they are not very handy for many things. I just got used to doing without and learned there is not much I can not do as well with a good chefs knife. I do also have a serrated bread knife. I use it mainly for bagels. I actually prefer the cut I get in a bagel with a serrated knife over the cut I get with a straight edge. It makes the surface of the bagel a bit more rough which helps the butter not run off the edge as much.

To the OP's question, stay away from knife sets. Like others have said you end up with knives you don't need or want. You would do much better paying for individual knives that suit your cooking style. If you cook a lot of fish then maybe you will want a fillet knife. If you do a lot of small delicate work then maybe a paring knife. Each person will require something different. The knife sets cater to those that have no idea what they want or need. They throw a little of everything at you hoping that something sticks.

I'm always surprised at how strongly people advise against buying knife sets. I certainly agree that they may not be the best purchase in many situations. I have seen sales on knife sets where the entire set cost less than the two knives a person might want.

We have a set of Henckels, bought as a set. There is a storage block, chef's knife, carving knife, boning knife, paring knife, and kitchen shears. All of them get used. I tend to use the chef's knife and paring knife the most. Stirling tends to mostly use the carving knife, boning knife, and paring knife. There is room in the block for a honing steel. When we got together, Stirling had the knife set and I brought a steel.

I have bunches of knives in my kitchen. All, or nearly all, very sharp. I do have a couple of serrated bread knives, but I also have an old Chicago Cutlery BT7. Best little sandwich knife ever...Slices anything, including soft tomatoes, neatly, a good spreader for mayo and mustard, and the right blade length to stand up in a qt. mayo jar without getting any on the handle. It's the only serrated knife I have that really sees any use.

I have at least 4 knife sets, all given to us as gifts, Chicago Cutlery, Farberware, etc. Plus the 2 santukos and 3 ceramic ones I bought. Along with a couple cleavers and other knives that were inherited. Way too many knives for 2 people, but what can I do? Love 'em all, and it keeps DH happy sharpening.

Last edited:
It just surprises me that anyone who spends time on this forum and in the kitchen wouldn't recognize the advantages of keeping one's knives sharp.
I agree completely about keeping knives sharp. A dull knife is far more dangerous than a sharp one because it requires more force to use and can also easily slip off of whatever you are cutting.

My most used knives:

• Santoku
  • Chef's knife
  • Paring knife
  • Serrated bread knife
  • Meat slicer

Last edited:
In my case, I sharpen as needed...I live with an Ogre, who doers not care about keeping knives nice, I'm forever finding them in the sink with water soaking the wood handles, tip down in the metal dish drainer, instead of the knife block. I cringe when he uses my Henckels. The ceramic knives are all notched...I won't have pristine knives until I am in my widowhood.

In my case, I sharpen as needed...I live with an Ogre, who doers not care about keeping knives nice, I'm forever finding them in the sink with water soaking the wood handles, tip down in the metal dish drainer, instead of the knife block. I cringe when he uses my Henckels. The ceramic knives are all notched...I won't have pristine knives until I am in my widowhood.

I have trained DH, he is not allowed to use the knives, or otherwise touch or wash them, he is only to sharpen them. I allow him to use the steel on occasion. Maybe Shek needs a Chef's Choice sharpener?

Last edited:
I have trained DH, he is not allowed to use the knives, or otherwise touch or wash them, he is only to sharpen them. I allow him to use the steel on occasion. Maybe Shek needs a Chef's Choice sharpener?

He knows nothing about sharpening knives. Shrek is very impaired when it comes to using tools, etc. He is an artist, a musician... :cool:

Here is the knife sharpener I use. After trying many different kinds (I'm no expert chef) I like this one the best. I forget where I bought this one or how much it cost---- Amazon doesn't seem to carry it.

A Cut Above Knife Sharpener at werd.com

knife_sharpener.jpg

Farberware Pro forged 8" Chef's knife (can be found for under $12) has been my main knife for a while. It rates higher on Amazon reviews than all the $100+ chef's knives I've looked at. I wouldn't suggest their Santoku though because they use a European style handle (as on the Chef's knife) and blade geometry. It's forged, has a full tang, and triple rivets (though really it's all marketing and not a real reflection of quality or durability).

Victorinox acquired Forschner and makes very highly rated Chef's knives that aren't forged, full tang, or triple rivets. To me; they're pricey ($40-$60) and have primitive shaped handles. They look like the Cozzini knives we have at work and I have yet to see one of those break, and I have seen them abused. I really like the blades, but not the handles.

It seems like the more expensive the knife: the more fragile they are. I've seen pictures of expensive knives that have broken with no indication of abuse by people claiming the manufacturer wouldn't honor the lifetime guarantee (claiming owner abuse). Expensive knives also like to walk off on you.

I hone a lot more than it seems the average patron here. It can make a huge difference when done right, and it's so easy to do. I'm even gentle on the cutting edge. I agree that a good knife is a sharp knife, I'm picky about handles and how they suit the type of cutting they'll be doing.

Recommending brands isn't a good idea: Each brand has different tiers of quality and names for those tiers. While some make a decent Chef's knife, they may not make a decent Santoku (for those who know the difference). Edge retention may be more important to some, and why they'd want to spend more for a knife. I'd rather have a few cheaper decent knives than an expensive brittle and magically disappearing one.

Back
Top Bottom