"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 05-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakz View Post
Farberware Pro forged 8" Chef's knife (can be found for under $12) has been my main knife for a while. It rates higher on Amazon reviews than all the $100+ chef's knives I've looked at. I wouldn't suggest their Santoku though because they use a European style handle (as on the Chef's knife) and blade geometry. It's forged, has a full tang, and triple rivets (though really it's all marketing and not a real reflection of quality or durability).

Victorinox acquired Forschner and makes very highly rated Chef's knives that aren't forged, full tang, or triple rivets. To me; they're pricey ($40-$60) and have primitive shaped handles. They look like the Cozzini knives we have at work and I have yet to see one of those break, and I have seen them abused. I really like the blades, but not the handles.

It seems like the more expensive the knife: the more fragile they are. I've seen pictures of expensive knives that have broken with no indication of abuse by people claiming the manufacturer wouldn't honor the lifetime guarantee (claiming owner abuse). Expensive knives also like to walk off on you.

I hone a lot more than it seems the average patron here. It can make a huge difference when done right, and it's so easy to do. I'm even gentle on the cutting edge. I agree that a good knife is a sharp knife, I'm picky about handles and how they suit the type of cutting they'll be doing.

Recommending brands isn't a good idea: Each brand has different tiers of quality and names for those tiers. While some make a decent Chef's knife, they may not make a decent Santoku (for those who know the difference). Edge retention may be more important to some, and why they'd want to spend more for a knife. I'd rather have a few cheaper decent knives than an expensive brittle and magically disappearing one.
Thank you for your comments---- esp the one about not recommending brands and why you said that

I've always looked for a full tang and triple rivets. I find that some good Asian groceries have a fairly good selection of knives. One of the best knives I ever bought (for a home cook) is one I bought at a hardware store in Japan town in San Francisco---- on sale for $10 keeps it edge beautifully through the years.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #42
Head Chef

Oh, forgot to say that one of my most used knives is the Bird's Beak paring knife.
I have two of them---- neither as expensive as the image here:

Old 10-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Here I am, waking up this thread again. Most of the knives I have are old cheap knives, some from DH's first marriage and some from my first apartment. I also have a very cheap set in a block kept on my counter. I like the block, because it stands pretty straight up and down and doesn't take up a lot of room on my very small counter in my very small kitchen. I recently bought a very nice set of Henckels on sale at Kohl's. I really liked the set, but the block was way too big and took up too much room on the counter so I returned it. I have been online all morning looking at knives, and I got the bright idea that I might be able to find knives that fit into my block that I like so well. How I wish I had tried the Henckels knives it it before I returned them. Is it possible that they would have fit in the slots? Are knives pretty much standard shape? If I ended up with too many knives I could always keep the extras in my silverware drawer.

I am open for suggestions. You guys seem to have very good thinking caps.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #44
Certified Pretend Chef

I used to have a knife block for my Henckels. I got rid of it and put a magnetic knife holder on the wall under the cabinets where I do my prep. So much better and not counter space lost.

If you still want Henckels, they have two major quality grades with slightly different insignia. Their higher quality knives have the insignia with two stick figures while their lower grade knives have a single stick figure insignia.

That's not to say the lower grade are not worth buying. Some are serrated 'eversharp' type edges which I don't care for at all.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

I used a set of of Cutco knives for years till I started buying the double-dude Henckels knives, and I still use them, except for the chef's knife. I bought a Henckels knife block that was larger than the Cutco and all my most-used knives fit in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1412531711083.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	21987  
Old 10-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Thanks for the feedback. I just checked online and the ones I bought and returned had the single stick figure. Even those were far better quality than the ones I have now. I saw the ones that "never needs sharpening" but it was a bigger set and had a few knives I would probably never use, for more money, of course. I also saw a review of the all serrated knives and that person didn't like them either.

I saw a set of Chicago knives that I was considering. One site had all good reviews, another site had quite a few bad reviews. I figure I've been married for 33 years with my cheap knives, so I don't exactly need the best thing on the market, especially with the basic cooking I do. I will probably sharpen the ones I have and keep looking until I see what I want instead of making a snap decision.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #47
Certified Pretend Chef

Chicago Cutlery also makes good knives. They were my first set and I still use some of them. I have the Walnut handled set from about 20 years ago.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

DH gave me the Cutco set for Christmas many years ago, but the rest of my knives I've bought separately, so I only have the ones I want and use.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Chicago Cutlery also makes good knives. They were my first set and I still use some of them. I have the Walnut handled set from about 20 years ago.

For the amount I use them, I always look to Chicago Cutlery first. They sharpen up really nice when needed.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #50
Executive Chef

I liked the Chicago set I saw, but some of the people who reviewed them only gave them 1 star. Some people said they rusted. Others gave them 5 stars.

I am very prone to cutting myself and with me taking aspirin every day, DH hates to see me using knives. LOL

Tags
kitchen, knives