Kitchen knives - recommendation please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My cheap stainless steel knives that I've used for years have never rusted. They are washed, dried and put away after use. So I guess the people who complained of rust on the Chicago Cutlery knives were not taking care of them properly.

I might be able to get away with just buying a good knife sharpener.

Do you put yours in the dishwasher? Most that I've seen recommend no dishwasher. I don't have a dishwasher so that's not a problem! There are benefits to being poor! LOL

My cheap stainless steel knives that I've used for years have never rusted. They are washed, dried and put away after use. So I guess the people who complained of rust on the Chicago Cutlery knives were not taking care of them properly.

I might be able to get away with just buying a good knife sharpener.

Do you put yours in the dishwasher? Most that I've seen recommend no dishwasher. I don't have a dishwasher so that's not a problem! There are benefits to being poor! LOL

Less stuff to take care of and clean. :angel:

I never put my good knives in the dishwasher. The word is that the long exposure to heat and detergent damage them.

The only negative I've ever seen that actually made sense is that they can be knocked around by the spray, possibly degrading the edge. Also can damage wood handles if your knives are so equipped. I don't see detergent hurting a stainless steel knife otherwise, and the heat would damage other things in there before it affected the temper of the knife.

I still don't put any of mine in the dishwasher. It took some persistence, but I eventually got my wife to stop doing it too. She got tired of beating on me for following her up and taking them out and hand washing them. :LOL:

The only negative I've ever seen that actually made sense is that they can be knocked around by the spray, possibly degrading the edge. Also can damage wood handles if your knives...

True.

Harsh chemicals in the DW detergent will have a negative impact on most handle materials, not just wood.

i just watched an alton brown episode about knife care and that's exactly what his expert mentioned. that dishwashers ruin handles, but made no mention of the blade.

Dear Mumu,
I agree with 'the set' being a wrong tuen. Been there, done that, got cheated. For the same price, you can get 'a' knife, with more quality, than you would get ofr 'a set' at a comparable price.

I agree with 'a knife', either 6-, 7-, or it is not being too large in your eyes, an 8-inch blade. A lot of folks reach for the 8-inch, but find it unwieldy, or too much blade for your hand. A 7-inch Santoku knife is enough for a lof folks, even me. There are many knife manufacturers, known and obscure. I agree with 'a paring knife', like my mom used to peel apples, as an example. With those two, 'a knife', and 'a paring knife', there is a lot you can do, and there is a lot of room for personal interpretation, too, to 'make it your's'.

Back
Top Bottom