"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Knife advice

I read that if I have just one knife it should be an 8" chefs knife. So I intend to buy myself one. I don't particularly enjoy cooking but I have to, so I want a very sharp knife to make cooking easier. It seems that just because you pay a lot of money or buy a forged knife, this doesn't guarantee it being good. I don't want to spend much more than 50, so for this price would
anyone suggest, which seems to be highly rated and popular,
Forschner/Victorinox 8" chefs knife or Forschner Fibrox? Is there much difference? How does they compare to the Global chefs knives or Henckels, Wusthof or Shun etc? Any experts out there?

Many thanks

Old 06-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree your first purchase should be a chef's knife. The length can vary according to your preferences from 6" to 12".

If you take a few minutes for read through older threads in this knife forum, you will find your question answered more than once.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Go to a thrift store and buy the best forged knife you can find, then take it to your butcher and ask him to sharpen it for you.

I got an old wooden handled Friedrick Dick 10" chef's knife from a thrift store for less than 10 bucks American and it served me well until my insignificant other left town and took it with her. She took my very expensive, top-of-the-line Rowenta steam iron too!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Executive Chef

The Forschner Fibrox is a sanitary handle food service recommended knife. It is not expensive and holds an edge well. I use them all the time and they come highly recommended by folks in the industry.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

You seem to be asking the right questions and also seem to know what you should be looking at. The other important think you will want to consider is how you keep your knife sharp after you have it. Every knife will need to be sharpened at dome point. How you go about that can play a large role in how much you continue to like your knife.

Tags
knife