"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Old 10-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
Head Chef

Knife Thrower Knife Block

Saphellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
Thanks guys

Got myself a block and it awesome much better to get my knives to hand now :)

rookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
Mr. Greenjeans
Kapoosh anyone?

Kapoosh Universal Knife Block Review - GadgetScope.com Reviews
No matter how many Bibles he swears on, when a dog tells you he's a vegetarian, he's lying.
bigdaddy3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #14
Head Chef
nice one, saphellae!!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #15
Senior Cook
though i dont have one, ive heard many more bad things about the kapoosh knife block that good...seems like a great idea, that just doesn't work in reality.... check out this review

Kapoosh Knife Block (not recommended) - Equipment & Gear - Cooking For Engineers

ive also seen plenty of people complain that the rods bend after a while, causing a real problem

and in regards to the epircurean boards (sorry to be such a kill-joy here, guys), i think they are a bit too hard for good knives....they claim they are knife safe, but from what ive heard it isnt totally true....also, for me personally, they have a bit of a "nails on a chalkboard" feel when using them that drives me crazy

the best way to go is with an end-grain wood board (or a Sani-Tuff board)....you can sometimes find cheaper ones, but if you spend the money on a decent one and treat it right, it will last a very long time....plastic is also ok, but not quite as gentle - i have one around for chicken and other raw meat, even though it's debatable that wood handles bacteria just as well or better
TheNoodleIncident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #16
Senior Cook
I had a kapoosh. I liked it a lot except for one thing. It doesn't hold knives over 8" without leaving a lot of exposed edge sticking out.

If you have a mix and match set of knives, finding a block that fits them all is virtually impossible. Which leads to the knife slits in counters or wall mount that will hold various groupings of knives.

The wood sanitation issue is misapplied. It won't protect you from bad habits and poor washing. Do the job right and the bacterial effects are non-issue.
thymeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #17
Senior Cook
I used to have a wooden block. It worked fine, but I had to clean it on a regular basis. I now have a magnetic strip mounted to the wall that holds my knives. I LOVE it. It was cheap, and it holds all my knives with no problem. It did take a few tries before I learned how to remove my knives from it safely, but hey, nobody got hurt.
If you've never had it before, how do you know you don't like it?
Chipotle Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #18
Head Chef
For anyone looking for cheap magnetic knife strips, Budk.com has 13 inch ones, 2 for $8.00. I have no idea of the quality or such, but I certainly hope to be able to tell you on Dec. 25!

Wife wouldn't let me order, but promised to do so... LOL

Display Magnet - BUDK

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #19
Assistant Cook
I would defenitly agree Goodweed. What you cut on is one of the most important things you can have and the poly boards are perfect for it. Also investing in a good knife sharpner I would highly recommend. As far as storage whatever makes you most comfortable is what you should go with. I personnally have a block for my knives but since they are an old set I am defenitly going to buy a new set this year!
chefsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #20
Senior Cook
alton brown doesn't like knife blocks because it's impossible to clean the insides, and the slots are only so wide, which limits the size of the knives you can get. he likes a magnetic strip instead on a wall of a low-traffic area of a kitchen. makes sense to me. only thing to worry about is to sort of roll the knife off to not wreck the edge.

The bird could eat its way out of the cage. That was very real to me. As an apprentice, I too felt like a bird in a cage made out of bread. I just fed on my limits. -- Lionel Poilane
baking fool is offline   Reply With Quote