"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-14-2004, 03:02 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
I am kind of different.

I like to use my 12 in Sabatier chef's knife for chopping, a 3 1/2 inch Sabatier paring, and a 10" Sabatier slicing knife [all are carbon steel].

I love my 14" carbon Sabatier chef knife, but I don't use it as often as I do the 12" one.

Wow, that’s my kind of girl. I do not have such large knives but do love my 12 and 10-inch chefs, and also couple of Chinese cleavers that are 10 and 8 inches long.

Old 12-17-2004, 02:26 AM   #42

As ever, Chocolate Chef drew my comments to the conclusion I wanted to make...

The big and heavy carbon steel blades do most of the work, retain the very best edges, are sharpened with the least of effort, provide the best control, and for 40-50 dollars "premium price" against literally a lifetime use gaurantee, are probably the best choice for any "ameteur cook", as opposed a "true professional" (there being a number on this Board, that deserve their ultra fancy Japanese blades!)(or just lucky enough to "inherit" "heirloom" quality knoves...)

Lifter

Old 12-29-2004, 07:21 PM   #43
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Up until my SO ran away with it, I always prefered my Friedrick Dick 10-inch chef's knife to any other knife I have ever used. I do plan on replacing it soon, but they run close to 150 bucks, so right now I am content to use my Henckles 8-incher.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:04 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Up until my SO ran away with it, I always prefered my Friedrick Dick 10-inch chef's knife to any other knife I have ever used. I do plan on replacing it soon, but they run close to 150 bucks, so right now I am content to use my Henckles 8-incher.
I'm thinking about getting an F. Dick 10" knife. The one you mentioned, for $150, is that a "forged" knife, or stamped? I think I've seen F. Dick 10" Stamped French knives for about $40US from commercial suppliers.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:32 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
I'm thinking about getting an F. Dick 10" knife. The one you mentioned, for $150, is that a "forged" knife, or stamped? I think I've seen F. Dick 10" Stamped French knives for about $40US from commercial suppliers.
I have had F. Dick knives before, I just gave them away recently. They are very good knives imho.

Sorry. I should have said they were forged knives......
Old 12-31-2004, 03:20 PM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
I think I've seen F. Dick 10" Stamped French knives for about $40US from commercial suppliers.
I would never buy or use a stamped knife. I am very particular about the quality and durability of my equipment, and a good quality forged chef's knife can last for generations.

The only stamped knives manufactured by Friedrick Dick that I am aware of are meat and fish slicers. I believe all of their chef's knives are forged. You can check out the selection at http://www.knifemerchant.com/product...nufacturerID=3
Old 01-01-2005, 11:28 AM   #47
Executive Chef

I bought a "starter" kit of knives when I was in college, through the school. They were all F. Dick knives, and they were all stamped. The Boning knife quickly "grew legs and walked off", e.i., was stolen, and I've replaced it with a Wustaff forged boning knife.

I've used some forged knives, but I usually find them heavier than my knives. I can usually slice and chop some things faster with a stamped knife than a forged.

I browsed the link you had. Is that geared for home buyers, or professionals? Whenever the food rep's come into my jobplace, they have a complete listing of knives, from Dexter-Russel, Wustaff, Henkel, F. Dick, some Japanese brands, and usually have both stamped and forged in each brand.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:30 AM   #48

I have bought knives from knife merchant.

It was always my opinion, it was geared to both home and professional knife purchasers.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:54 PM   #49
Head Chef

They seem to only carry, or at least present, the top of the line equipment from each manufacturer, so I would assume they are geared to the professional.

If you want to see everything available from Friederick Dick, check out

http://www.gourmetcutlery.com/index....amp;lang=en-us
Old 01-02-2005, 11:02 AM   #50
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
I use a 10 in chinese clever for everything. One knife is good for everything.

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote