knife length

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
choclatechef said:
I am kind of different.

I like to use my 12 in Sabatier chef's knife for chopping, a 3 1/2 inch Sabatier paring, and a 10" Sabatier slicing knife [all are carbon steel].

I love my 14" carbon Sabatier chef knife, but I don't use it as often as I do the 12" one.

Wow, that’s my kind of girl. I do not have such large knives but do love my 12 and 10-inch chefs, and also couple of Chinese cleavers that are 10 and 8 inches long.

As ever, Chocolate Chef drew my comments to the conclusion I wanted to make...

The big and heavy carbon steel blades do most of the work, retain the very best edges, are sharpened with the least of effort, provide the best control, and for 40-50 dollars "premium price" against literally a lifetime use gaurantee, are probably the best choice for any "ameteur cook", as opposed a "true professional" (there being a number on this Board, that deserve their ultra fancy Japanese blades!)(or just lucky enough to "inherit" "heirloom" quality knoves...)

Lifter

Up until my SO ran away with it, I always prefered my Friedrick Dick 10-inch chef's knife to any other knife I have ever used. I do plan on replacing it soon, but they run close to 150 bucks, so right now I am content to use my Henckles 8-incher.

Caine said:
Up until my SO ran away with it, I always prefered my Friedrick Dick 10-inch chef's knife to any other knife I have ever used. I do plan on replacing it soon, but they run close to 150 bucks, so right now I am content to use my Henckles 8-incher.

I'm thinking about getting an F. Dick 10" knife. The one you mentioned, for $150, is that a "forged" knife, or stamped? I think I've seen F. Dick 10" Stamped French knives for about $40US from commercial suppliers.

AllenMI said:
Caine said:

I'm thinking about getting an F. Dick 10" knife. The one you mentioned, for $150, is that a "forged" knife, or stamped? I think I've seen F. Dick 10" Stamped French knives for about $40US from commercial suppliers.

I have had F. Dick knives before, I just gave them away recently. They are very good knives imho.

Sorry. I should have said they were forged knives......

AllenMI said:
I think I've seen F. Dick 10" Stamped French knives for about $40US from commercial suppliers.
I would never buy or use a stamped knife. I am very particular about the quality and durability of my equipment, and a good quality forged chef's knife can last for generations.

The only stamped knives manufactured by Friedrick Dick that I am aware of are meat and fish slicers. I believe all of their chef's knives are forged. You can check out the selection at http://www.knifemerchant.com/products.asp?manufacturerID=3

I bought a "starter" kit of knives when I was in college, through the school. They were all F. Dick knives, and they were all stamped. The Boning knife quickly "grew legs and walked off", e.i., was stolen, and I've replaced it with a Wustaff forged boning knife.

I've used some forged knives, but I usually find them heavier than my knives. I can usually slice and chop some things faster with a stamped knife than a forged.

I browsed the link you had. Is that geared for home buyers, or professionals? Whenever the food rep's come into my jobplace, they have a complete listing of knives, from Dexter-Russel, Wustaff, Henkel, F. Dick, some Japanese brands, and usually have both stamped and forged in each brand.

I have bought knives from knife merchant.

It was always my opinion, it was geared to both home and professional knife purchasers.

I got a 20cm Furi chef's knife for christmas. Love the thickness of the blade, I find anything longer than 20cm becomes too unwieldy for most work.

Just have to remember to keep taking care of it.

an 8 inch chefs knife is fine for most applications. anyone using a knife bigger than 10 inches is just showing off. i have a 10 inch knife in my kit that i never use. mosty use 8in wustof, kershaw santuko, kershaw angled paring knifeand sometimes a wusthof boning knife.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom