"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
Master Chef
It probably depends on how much food you're dealing with. When I'm dealing with a party, it is indespesible. My Mom bought me my first one when I was in my twenties, living in DC, and I brought it to my boyfriend's (now husband of 30 years) apartment and we made quiche for about two dozen people. Doing all of that by hand? It was the first time we worked together in a (very small) kitchen, and doing all that knife work, neither of us terribly experienced, would have been a bi**ch. Our relationship may not have survived.

I'm now on, I think, my third food processor. And, no, wouldn't be worth it if all I do is slice or dice or mix for two. My husband and I spent years on the road in a trailer, and many, many years moving around, without a food processor. But when my little mini Cuisinart failed, I bought what I thought was the biggest and best (and yes, with the advice of my DC friends), and have no regrets. But I do entertain enough to make it worthwhile, and this version has three interlocking bowls and it rocks! I don't use it even weekly, but I love the darned thing. For chopping one onion, no, I use a knife. For making slaw or any other thing, I'm so happy to own it!

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
Sous Chef
I cook breakfast for a homeless shelter. Chop onions, shred potatoes for hashbrowns, shred cheese if needed. I usually shred cheese ahead of time, at home, where I have a pelican head for my mixer. Still use a knife more than a processor.

gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef
If you haven't missed it all these years, you probably don't need to spent the money.

I use a Cuisinart mini FP for hummus. Amazon.com: Cuisinart DLC-2ABC Mini-Prep Plus Food Processor, Brushed Chrome: Kitchen & Dining
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have one of these:

Amazon.com: Cuisinart HB-154PC Smart Stick Hand Blender With Whisk & Chopper Attachments - Club Model: Home & Kitchen

And use it a lot. The mini food processor attachment gets used more often than the dedicated FP. The whisk gets used the most.
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I only cook for two, so I don't use the FP very much. At least until it's time to make tamales or huge batches of slaw, etc. Then it's very important. This happens for me about every three months.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
I very rarely use my food processor. I love putting a bit of music on and doing the prep work with my santoku
Anazoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #17
Master Chef
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have one of these:

Amazon.com: Cuisinart HB-154PC Smart Stick Hand Blender With Whisk & Chopper Attachments - Club Model: Home & Kitchen

And use it a lot. The mini food processor attachment gets used more often than the dedicated FP. The whisk gets used the most.
I have exactly the same thing Taxi, it's wonderful and combined with my Mandolin, it's all I need these days. I have a big food processor that never gets used since I rarely entertain anymore.
Mostly I use my knife, hand grater, and micro plane.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
Assistant Cook
Thanks everyone for your comments, it's certainly given me a lot to think about.
Twimum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #19
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Twimum View Post
Why bring this up? Well I'm wondering if all these years I've not been using something that's absolutely essential.

I do not think it is essential, but it sure is convenient when you need it. I have two (well actually 3 but I do not use the 11 cup, too small for me) so I do have small one and 14 cup ones and those I use all the time.
Also some things really require FP. Humus that you mention. I make zucchini spread, I make eggplant spread. I do not have one of those emersion blenders, so I use FP instead. My mandolin is getting pretty dull, so I use FP. Before getting KA stand up mixer I used FP to mix the dough. When my kids were little I cooked a lot myself and used the small mixer to chop the foods into a mush (is it a word?) for them. I use a lot of garlic, and small FP is very handy when it comes to chopping it. I make spinach, parsley, onion dips, really could not have done it without the FP.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
Half Baked
I bought a cuisanart FP ten years ago and probably have used it ten times.I mostly use a knife because I don't want to wash everything.
I do have a mini FP that goes on my Cuisanart blender and it gets more use than the large one.It is perfect for pesto or hummus.I don't use the blender for much other than Hollandaise.

Just be yourself! Everyone else is taken.

My Flickr stuff!
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote

food, knife