"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #31
Cook

I'm a pretty keen FP user. For example, I can grate then chop several large potatoes in less time and with less effort than with a grater, and that includes cleaning the FP. I keep my knives sharp but have never had great knife skills, so the FP is a blessing. I must say, though, that I can make breadcrumbs more efficiently with a blender than with a processor.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

I was very fortunate in that my first husband was a pro chef. He taught me my knife skills. My favorite prep job is peeling. He is the one who taught me that peeling toward yourself can be just as dangerous as cutting toward yourself. If your peeler blade is sharp enough, it can take off a nice layer or two of skin. My favorite things to peel are carrots, cukes, etc. Long strokes of peeling. When need be though, I can and do use the knife. I cut the carrots in medallions. I quarter potatoes. The smaller the cubes, the quicker they cook, the more engery saved. but I also use the FP. Big and small. Tonight I made some tuna salad. A small rib of celery, half onion, and one clove of garlic went intot the mini FP. In less thatn two seconds, cut into tiny peices that my digestive system could handle. It would have taken me at least a full minute to get all of that cut that fine.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #33
Master Chef

Steve said it all with "the right tool for the right job". Addie, my husband sometimes jokes that he decided to marry me after watching me peel potatoes at a friend's house. She was laboriously peeling, as you described, towards herself. I grabbed and dug in. I have a good sized family, and Daddy loved potatoes, we ate them with almost every meal. I hated to do it, but boy could I peel potatoes and carrots -- fast. Don't ever remember skinning myself, either. Husband prefers pasta and rice to potatoes, but I can still peel a baker (Idaho, whatever) or carrot very quickly. Smaller potatoes I try to buy pretty enough to not have to peel! Those I'm not so good at.

Back to subject at hand .... last year bought that cuisinart with three interlocking bowls, and love it. The three different sizes allow you to, as Steve said, have the right size for the right job. Also allows you to jump from one project to another without having to stop and clean the FP in between.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Back to subject at hand .... last year bought that Cuisinart with three interlocking bowls, and love it. The three different sizes allow you to, as Steve said, have the right size for the right job. Also allows you to jump from one project to another without having to stop and clean the FP in between.
In the days of BFP I did more than my share of using my knife. First I got my large FP. Loved it. Actually my niece got it for me. There was a fire in her building. Bless her heart. The woman on the second floor just walked away and never returned to clean out her apartment. So welcome looters. My niece went in and took all the small appliances. I was the beneficiary of the Robot Coupe FP with all the attachments. For my little Sunbeam Oskar, the woman that lived in the apartment before me moved to Florida and never came back for her belongings in the cellar. Welcome to my home Little Oskar. Pure luck on my part. But I use both of them extensively. Do to age, my hands are slowly becoming disfigured with arthritis. Some days I am lucky if I can use a butter knife. I enjoy using and practicing my knife skills. But when I can't, I am grateful for my FPs.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #35
Executive Chef

I need to get my eyes examined. I could swear the title for this thread said "Knife or Food Poisoning"
Old 01-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I need to get my eyes examined. I could swear the title for this thread said "Knife or Food Poisoning"
Yup. I think so too.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

I use a mix of both as there are a lot of things that are so much quicker and easier using the processor but other things are less fuss just to use the knife

I love using both for sure!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #38
Cook

I chop my veggies whom brought her from some of the farms cultivated without chemicals with a knife , also I could use the knife with a Nuts and parsley ..lol

Tags
food, knife