Knife Set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shun knives Ken Onion series....is it overpriced or is it worth its weight. I just saw them when I was looking at shun knives. The handles alone are as appealing as Jessica Biel in a swimsuit to be blunt.

As in another thread (possible bargain), you might want to take a look at the Kanatsune currently being offerred by SMKW. These are laminated VG10 knives made in Seki, but at 1/3 the price. The reviews in the thread are all favorable. I purchased these knives, and, while not as sexy looking as the Ken Onions, do the job for me. SMKW prices are about half of most on the internet.

Just wanted to throw a update out there and maybe inquire about the best places to get the items from.

I went to a local place and found Sur La Table. Pretty cool place. Anyways, they had Shun, Global, Henkels, and Wusthof. I held pretty much all of them, and my least fav was prolly the wusthof classic..they were close to the Henkel (pro S I think it was) except that the Henkels seemed a tad better on the handle feel---it was more rounded where the Wusthof's have sharper lines on the handle. I tried the Shun classic, and the Ken Onion and that pretty much was what I expected..I liked the Ken Onion. I also tried the Global Knives just to give them a fair shot..but again, it was about as expected--not a big fan of all steel knives. So what were my final choices?

I am basically at a coin flip with the Ken Onion and the Wusthof Classic Ikon series. Pros about each one IMO: Ikon: Nicely balanced, look very durable, and natural in my hand. Ken Onion: very natural ergo's, lighter, and cosmetically pleasing.(note: I didn't actually cut anything Since I know I would be happy with either...I am now looking to see where the best deal to be had from both of them and pick from there. Looking at the 5" utility, 6"(for wife) or 8" (for me---insert Tim Allen macho sound--)Chef or both, and a 3.5" paring knife...that should get me started until I feel I need/want more.

If you're happy with the knives you tried and happy with the service you were given, I recommend buying from the store that let you try out the knives.

You won't find the cheapest prices at Sur La Table but they do have nice service and a good return policy. If you sign up for their newsletter, they will send you a 5% off coupon. Also, they have sales every now and then, a Summer Sale currently. Don't know if there are any restrictions to what the discount can be applied to but might be worth checking out.

Best Knife

Hi...for what purpose do u want to use the knife for . sorry for this kinda stupid question?? lol!! . i know obviously for cuttin . watever sharp knife you use it ll cut the things which u want to . i wish u could use gunter willhelm . this will surely suit you i guess .anyways make a try .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom