"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 05-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #31
Head Chef

.....There is a sucker born every minute.....LOL

Old 05-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #32
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
Chef Tony showed how one can cut a pineapple in two in mid-air!
I think Mr. Miyagi did that in Karate Kid III.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #33
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I have a 6-inch URI Eagle Zirconium Oxide (white) Chef's knife, which I bought strictly for chopping vegetables, especially lettuce, because ceramic will not cause the lettuce to turn brown like metal does. I will most likely never have to sharpen this knife in my life time, nor will my son when he inherits it. My granddaughter might have to send it back to the manufacturer for sharpening, though.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Some good and throrough advice on knives. As for the vegetable peeler, it's a matter of ergonomics but I prefer the Swiss style peelers:

Kuhn Rikon The Original Swiss Peeler: Stainless Steel - Kuhn Rikon Kitchen Tools

It's more efficient because you can peel in longer strokes since you're moving the peeler towards you rather than away from you.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
Some good and throrough advice on knives. As for the vegetable peeler, it's a matter of ergonomics but I prefer the Swiss style peelers:

Kuhn Rikon The Original Swiss Peeler: Stainless Steel - Kuhn Rikon Kitchen Tools

It's more efficient because you can peel in longer strokes since you're moving the peeler towards you rather than away from you.

I use the more common straight one and peel in long strokes away from me. Actually, I can peel from one end of a vegetable to the other in both directions.

I find that peeling towards me sometimes results in the peel's getting in the way of the next stroke.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I use the more common straight one and peel in long strokes away from me. Actually, I can peel from one end of a vegetable to the other in both directions.

I find that peeling towards me sometimes results in the peel's getting in the way of the next stroke.
Like I said, it's a matter of ergonomics. But most of the people that I've worked with in different professional kitchens all use the swiss-style. Even when we have friendly potato peeling competitions, the swiss-style peelers always win vs. someone who has the straight type peelers.

But, like a knife, get what's the most comfortable to use.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree IC. Although I have never had a friendly potato peeling competition.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

As always, I appreciate all the input people are throwing out.
This weekend, I went to BBB and Macy's to check out knives. I didn't see any of the Japanese knives I was looking for, but I did get a feel of some calphalon (sp), wusthof, and henkels. I didn't like most of the cal or henkels all that much and the wustoff ones that seemed good to me were the classics...they had gourmet and two something series but wasn't favorable to them as they seemed heavier and bulky. Also, in trying out different ones, I found my wife really wants a good 4-5" petty/all purpose knife. I'll try to better explain since I don't know the terminology. When you hold the knife there seems to be 3 different styles. 1.) the blade runs flush with the handle, 2.) the blade goes to the edge of the handle then abruptly drops leaving a kinda sharp edge, 3.) the blade runs close to the handle, blunt but smooth edge that contours to the index finger....she likes the third one the most, but wouldn't mind the first style if the third one isn't available but definitely not the second style.

So, I was disappointed that I wasn't able to walk out with any knives, I still managed to buy a large bamboo cutting board as a starter.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmenot View Post
As always, I appreciate all the input people are throwing out.
This weekend, I went to BBB and Macy's to check out knives. I didn't see any of the Japanese knives I was looking for, but I did get a feel of some calphalon (sp), wusthof, and henkels. I didn't like most of the cal or henkels all that much and the wustoff ones that seemed good to me were the classics...they had gourmet and two something series but wasn't favorable to them as they seemed heavier and bulky. Also, in trying out different ones, I found my wife really wants a good 4-5" petty/all purpose knife. I'll try to better explain since I don't know the terminology. When you hold the knife there seems to be 3 different styles. 1.) the blade runs flush with the handle, 2.) the blade goes to the edge of the handle then abruptly drops leaving a kinda sharp edge, 3.) the blade runs close to the handle, blunt but smooth edge that contours to the index finger....she likes the third one the most, but wouldn't mind the first style if the third one isn't available but definitely not the second style.

So, I was disappointed that I wasn't able to walk out with any knives, I still managed to buy a large bamboo cutting board as a starter.
The heavier knives (European brands) are usually the better quality ones because the weight usually means that it has a full tang, which means that the metal from the blade continues into the handle in one full piece. The lighter knives, which are usually lower in quality and lower in price---the low end Henckles and Wustof series---have stub tangs which only have a short piece of metal extending from the blade into the handle. The steel which is used to make these lighter knives are usually of a lower quality as well. Japanese knives are generally lighter so this rule doesn't always apply.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #40
Head Chef

In lieu of a block set of knives, I agree witlh those who would invest their money in a very few essential knives. My choices would be a chef's knive in a length that feel best to you. A petty, small utility, or paring knife for paring, and a boning style knife. It would be just as important to have high quality tools for maintenance, i.e. good quality stones and a good steel. If I did not know what I wanted, and needed something now, I would probably invest in wood handled Forschners, these three knives would cost way less than $75, try SMKW. This would give you time to sort out what works for you. This may be the Forschners. Try the Japanese knives. They represent a different philosophy than european style knives. Forget the steak knives. To me they are cutlery, not kitchen knives, and are used to fill out the block. I bought my steak knives at a kitchen discount store for 20 bucks, and they will be thrown away when they no longer will serve the purpose. Lastly, a way to store them is a must. Unless they are put properly away, they are not going to serve you well. If you have a place to put it where it will not be a danger in the kitchen, a magnetic strip works well. If someone ever hand me a small fortune to redo my kitchen, I will go with Alton Brown's large cutting surface with slots to hold the knives.