"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
Senior Cook

can someone point me to knives 101 or share some basic info regarding what knife/knives I should be using; also what makes them different? I am totally clueless here.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobagirl View Post
can someone point me to knives 101 or share some basic info regarding what knife/knives I should be using; also what makes them different? I am totally clueless here.
This will keep you busy.

So will this.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #13
Senior Cook

The links posted by Buzzard are great, among the best I know of on the internet, but may contain a lot more info than you want or need at this point. Here's a very basic guide that I think is pretty good: Kitchen Knife Buying Guide.

My suggestion is to do a little reading from the sites Buzzard recommended or from the site I've listed, then ask some more specific questions based on your needs and interests. There are a lot of us here who are willing to help.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:51 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
At the most basic level, as Buzzard has pointed out, there's no real point in buying a good quality knife if you're not prepared to put in the time and effort to hone (re-align the edge) and sharpen (grind a new edge).

From there the biggest question is Japanese German or French. The German style knives are probably the easiest for non knife afficiandos to use. Japanese knives have a very strong following among knife freaks, and French knives are very well regarded in professional kitchens.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #15
Senior Cook

What do you all think about the knives from this company... Warthers Carvings ? They're not high-end, but neither are they low end. I'm looking to get a set for my brother and SIL as a Christmas present next year when I have the money (this year wasn't kind to me). Are they worth it or should I look elsewhere (as in maybe a Wustoff or Henkels...not their pricier ones but of the same brand)?
Old 12-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #16
Cook

I personally wouldn't buy a set of knives..but buy 3 decent/good knives
depending on how/what you cook.
I only use a chefs knife, a small cleaver, and maybe a breadknife.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodfiend View Post
What do you all think about the knives from this company... Warthers Carvings ? They're not high-end, but neither are they low end. I'm looking to get a set for my brother and SIL as a Christmas present next year when I have the money (this year wasn't kind to me). Are they worth it or should I look elsewhere (as in maybe a Wustoff or Henkels...not their pricier ones but of the same brand)?
They look pretty neat. I wonder how thick the blade is though.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I have to say I'm really really appreciating the links from Buzzard and FincaPerlitas. The help from jpaulg regarding where the knives come from is also very informative.

I need to discuss these things with my DH. He is probably already aware of some of these things, because he sharpens my knives and usually has an opinion regarding quality. I admit its not something I ever really thought about.

Thank you all!
Old 12-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
I have to say I'm really really appreciating the links from Buzzard and FincaPerlitas. The help from jpaulg regarding where the knives come from is also very informative.

I need to discuss these things with my DH. He is probably already aware of some of these things, because he sharpens my knives and usually has an opinion regarding quality. I admit its not something I ever really thought about.

Thank you all!
Make it easy. Tell us what you would like and include your budget. You'll get all the info you can handle but it will enable you to make good decisions.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShepherd View Post
I personally wouldn't buy a set of knives..but buy 3 decent/good knives
depending on how/what you cook.
I only use a chefs knife, a small cleaver, and maybe a breadknife.
I pretty much agree. Even though knife sets may seem cheaper, they're usually loaded down with knives you don't really want or need. I have a ton of knives, but the only ones that I really use regularly are my 8" chef's knive, 6" utility knife and 8" bread knife.