"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Knife set

Well I know I want a knive set or at least a chef knife/ paring knife. That is what I am asking for Christmas. I have been looking at the Rachel ray Furi knives. Are these good? If any one else knows of any please let me know. My budget is probly 100-120.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Furis are good for home use, but without getting all technical about the ergonomics of using them all day they're not a great professional knife.

Stick with getting the chef's knife and the paring knife, and don't worry about getting a set. The vast majority of your use will be those two knives and it's best to get a good quality pair.

Looking on Amazon there were quite a few J A Henckels chef's knife/paring knife combos available in your price range. With Henckel's you want to be looking at their 4 star, 5 star or Pro-S ranges because they do have cheaper sets available that are not up to their top standard.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Everyone has favorites and I'm sure you'll get different opinions. For what it's worth, I don't like santoku knives so the Furi knife set would be out for me. However, based on reviews, they seem to be decent (but not exceptional) quality and not bad for the price.

Personally, I prefer traditional German or French style knives, particularly when it comes to my workhorse 8" chef's knife. I also prefer the weight and balance of forged knives but they are considerably more expensive than stamped knives.

My favorites are the Wusthof Classic and Grand Prix lines and the Henckels 4 Star, 5 Star and Professional S lines. For the most part, the different lines of each manufacturer are the same except for handle design. Since good knives will give you a lifetime of service, to me it's worth paying a little more to get the best knives you can afford.

Having said that, most of the top of the line Wusthofs and Henckels may be over your budget, but not necessarily. A couple of years ago, Wusthof decided to redesign the handles on one of its top lines, the Grand Prix, and renamed them Grand Prix II. Most retailers put the original Grand Prix knives on clearance and sold them out quickly. However, there is one major internet seller, Cutlery and More, who still has a good stock and is selling them at a huge discount (60-70% off retail). Here's the link: Wusthof Grand Prix - Full Wusthof Grand Prix Knife Selection, Wusthof Grand Prix Knives, Grand Prix Cutlery on Sale .

If it was me, I'd buy the best set of these I could afford. For example you can get a 3 piece chef's knife set for $99.95, with free shipping, which includes 8" chef's and carving knives and a 3.5" paring knife. They also have a 6 piece block set at the same price, but it has a 6" chef's knife rather than an 8" and I don't recommend it.

Your other alternatives, to stay in budget, would be:
1. Lesser quality (but good) forged knives such as these Calaphalons: Amazon.com: Calphalon Everyday Cutlery 14pc Set: Kitchen & Dining , or
2. High quality stamped knives such as these Forschner/Victorinox knives: Amazon.com: R.H. Forschner by Victorinox 8-Piece Knife Block Set: Kitchen & Dining

Which ever knives you choose, keep them sharp. If you don't have good sharpening skills and equipment, for the price you can't do better than this: Amazon.com: Lansky 4-rod Turn Box Crock Stick Sharpener (LCD5D): Sports & Outdoors
Old 12-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

And one of the retail sites I was recently on was offering a free paring knife with the purchase of certain Henckels knives.

ETA; This was referencing jpaul's post.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks guys I was looking just asking here but them emerilware knives look the same as Wusthof, Grand Prix. But I am sure they are made different.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
Senior Cook

The Emerilware knives are totally different from the Grand Prix. They are much lower quality, stamped knives. If you're going to buy stamped knives, the Forschner/Victorinox knives are better quality and a better buy than the Emerilware.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

No I was just wondering. Ya I will show my mom the grand prix they are nice. Just got to get my dad into getting them for me my mom knows but my dad thinks a knife is a knife.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I'm a Lamson Sharp fan myself. I use my chef's knife daily and only need to take it to a stone once a year. Currently my collection consists of: Chefs knife, Santoku, bread, boning, paring, slicer, fork, 6" utility and 6 serrated steak knives.

You can't beat the quality. Made in the US.

Amazon.com: LamsonSharp 8-Inch Forged Kullenschliff Chef's Knife: Home & Garden
Old 12-11-2008, 05:10 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Hm, no idea. Personally, I am using Fiskars knifev, which a pretty good for home use
Old 12-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
Head Chef

Don't forget to look at the Global knives. Their non-beveled edge looks like a great way to go. They have gotten great reviews and are great looking knives.

Global 3-pc. Kitchen Knife Set - Global Cutlery Sets