"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Knife set for X-Mas

My daughter is asking for new knives for Christmas. She is not a foodie, she would not benefit from anything exotic, not is a lot fo $$ in my budget. She does not need a large ste of knives.

Would anyone have any suggestions along those lines?

Thank You

AC

Old 12-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I have never used them, but Chicago Cutlery is a well know inexpensive brand name that a lot of people seem to like.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I would just buy the essentials: Chef and/or santoku, paring, bread, utility, boning. In that order of importance. Any forged brand name will do.

IMHO.

Edit: Maybe one of those orange Rachel Ray jobs.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Edit: Maybe one of those orange Rachel Ray jobs.
I'm no chef, far from it, but I got a set of the Rachel Ray knives (Furi) and after getting them sharpened, I like them just fine-I've got the scarred fingers to prove it!!

Bonus, you can always add to the basic set as your needs grow.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Check out these Cuisinart knives:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-14-Piece-Triple-Riveted-Forged-Santoku/dp/B0002TU4ZA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1228521084&sr=1-2

For the price, they are great knives. I have two knive sets which are used every day in my home - a set of Wusthofs (priced at about $350) which are my personal knives that nobody else is allowed to use, and a set of these Cuisinart knives which are used by our cook, my family and guests.

We've had the Cuisinarts for over three years and they receive very heavy use (and abuse). They aren't of the same quality as the Wusthofs, but they've held up fine, keep a decent edge, and are attractive and well-balanced. I can recommend them without reservation.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I have never used them, but Chicago Cutlery is a well know inexpensive brand name that a lot of people seem to like.
I use them, and would not recommend the new, made in China ones. I stick with the older CC. made in the USA. Better steel. I get them in thrift stores.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
Sous Chef

My brother-in-law loves Chicago Cutlery Onyx knives.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:41 AM   #8
Senior Cook

The simple things first.
1) Set a budget.
2) Remember that you get significant savings buying knives as a set rather than individually.
3) Get the set with the fewest knives in your price range. A few good knives will be much better than a large set of poor knives.
4) As a chef I use 4 knives almost exclusively, being a chef's knife, a bread knife, a paring knife and a boning knife. I have another half dozen knives but they don't see light of day very often, and I've worked in jobs where I haven't used the bread knife.
5) Only do it on the condition that your daughter learns how to hone (use a steel) and sharpen (use a stone or something similar) the knives. If she doesn't take care of the knives they'll be blunt and useless in no time flat.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulg View Post
The simple things first.
5) Only do it on the condition that your daughter learns how to hone (use a steel) and sharpen (use a stone or something similar) the knives. If she doesn't take care of the knives they'll be blunt and useless in no time flat.
I disagree with this statement. As the OP stated, his daughter is not a foodie so someone who cooks for enjoyment. She is just like the majority of people in this country who cook because they have to. For these people, their knives will not be taken care of the way someone who cares would take care of them. While it would be great for them and their knives if they learned things like honing, it should not be a condition of giving a gift of knives. Yes the knives will not cut well after a little while if they do not hone them, but lets be honest here. I think it would be safe to say that 90% of people in the US do not know how to hone their knifes let alone do it. That does not mean they should not own knives.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:02 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

The Forschner knives-- either the Fribrox (textured plastic handle) or the slightly more expensive rose wood handled versions. The Fbribox handle knives frequently are the recommended knives from Cooks Illustrated with good reason. They are light, comfortable for most people, will take a good edge, and aren't terribly expensive. You could assemble the most used knives and a separate storage system, a block, knife roll , or magnetic bar to complete the set. If budget allows(and if not, there's always next Christmas) I'd add a Chef's Choice electric sharpener.....then they'll always be sharp.