"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevelle View Post
Buzzard - thanks for the info on the tapes. Good to know that they will give a good polish after the 800 stone.
I don't use the tapes at all anymore - too easy to cut by accident and they wear. The 600 and 800 stones both polish fairly well after which I go directly to a 3"x11" leather strop and get the job done in a tenth of the time.

Buzz

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
I'm a Florida resident but I have a summer place in Wausau. If you're ever up that way between about mid May and mid October call my cell and I'll show you my stuff.

The UW is my Alma Mater. I turned down a full ride scholarship (skiing) at Colorado because I had a girlfriend still in HS in Wausau. How stupid was that??????

Buzz
239-248-5069
Cool! I'm originally from Tulsa, OK, and I moved here in 2003 to go to grad school. My wife is from Sauk City which is where we live now. Will definitely give a call during the summer!

Old 01-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
Cool! I'm originally from Tulsa, OK, and I moved here in 2003 to go to grad school. My wife is from Sauk City which is where we live now. Will definitely give a call during the summer!
Small world, Dude. My sister lives on the lake at Merrimac. I was there for a couple of days over Christmas. Not only that, less than a year ago we moved my almost 96 year old mother to a spot about a mile from you, the Pine Villa nursing home in Prairie Du Sac. Small world indeed.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:43 PM   #34
Cook

The knife and sharpening discussion comes up quite often. I was fortunate enough to attend a cooking class recently and we had a representative from Whustoff give us a lesson on knives. It could be a bit biased. Essentially we were told, "The best knives are from Germany or Japan. The German steel is softer and the Japanese is harder. German steel sharpens easier, but dulls faster. Japanese is harder, but is tougher to sharpen. According to the Whustoff representative, use a sharpening wheel for German knives and a honing stone for Japanese. A "steel" or "ceramic" tool isn't good at sharpening. What is actually does is to re-allign the fibres in the edge, therefore making it seem sharper.