Knife Sharpener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rookies

Assistant Cook
I am trying to decide what to go for a Diamond Steel Sharpener or one of these Furi OZITECH Diamond Fingers Knife Sharpener.

Would they both do a good job as each other?

Diamond sharpeners can be quite aggresive and generally produce a rough finish. I prefer a 3 stone set of Spyderco's 302 ceramic benchstones.

Can you point me to a website of what you mean so i can read up on it please.

Apex EdgePro - I got mine right after xmas, and my knives have never been sharper. It's an easy learning curve, and you can go from very serviceable to dangerously sharp.

Edge Pro, Inc.

My previous sharpener was a Lansky set and a couple pull thru sharpeners from Wustoff and Chef's Choice.

I'm a total rookie at knife sharpening, and after much research, product comparisons, and soul searching I ordered an Edge Pro Apex. It should be here this week, so if you'd like I can give you a newb's perspective on using it...

I'm a total rookie at knife sharpening, and after much research, product comparisons, and soul searching I ordered an Edge Pro Apex. It should be here this week, so if you'd like I can give you a newb's perspective on using it...

make sure and lets us know how it goes:)

Yeah I be interested to know how it goes.. But this sharpener is more for once a month as i would not want to do that every time I want to sharpen...

Also dont think get those in UK?

There are folks here that swear by their Furi Fingers, and they do have an innovative design. The fingers are curved in such a way that they always maintain a 20 deg. angle. I think that the frequency of sharpening depends more on the quality of your knives, and how you maintain them between sharpenings than the actual system you use to sharpen them.

We have a KE 198 Electric knife sharpener, which is okay, but we still use a steel, gives a better shape.

Something to keep in mind. All knife manufacturers do not use the same bevel angle for the edge. With any of the pull thru or electric sharpeners, you are limited to the angle of the sharpener, since it is fixed. Depending on your knives, manufacturer and style, you may want different angles. Some knives, with a higher rockwell can take more acute angles than those made with softer steels. That being said, if the pull thru/electric works for you and your knives, it's not an issue!

The Furi fingers are good in that they are the most gentle of the mechanical sharpeners and very easy to use.

However if you want very sharp knives, you'll need to learn how to use a stone, or a system using stones such as the edge-pro apex.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom