Knife Sharpening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
Does anyone get their knives professionally sharpened? If so, how often and is it worth it? I sharpen all but my Wusthof Santoku Hollow Edge (it doesn't ever need it) right before using on a sharpening steel, but it seems that over time, they've still lost their edge. I'm wondering if I should get them professionally sharpened. I can get my two chef's knives, a boning knife, carver and two paring knives sharpened for less than 10 euros (13 dollars). Is that a good deal?

Yes, I get mine sharpened and to me it's worth it. I know how to sharpen knives with a stone, but am pretty lazy.

A steel is not a sharpening device. It only hones the blade. So you will need to sharpen your knives either yourself or professionally at least once or twice a year.

1 to 2 bucks a knife is generally a good price. But some places charge bythe inch.

velochic - it's the high end amount for knife sharpening but it's still worth it to have sharp knives. I sharpen my Santoku Hollow Edge and it does just fine. It does lose its edge and I like it exceptionally sharp.

Norton Multi-Sharpening Stone Set

I do my own sharpening with this device. You notice it has 3 different grit stones from coarse to medium, and fine.

img_107880_0_ae6f14329e056eed0a951e3102351cd9.jpg

You just turn the knob to choose the stone you wish to sharpen with. The stones are bathed in a oil at the bottom, and there is a cover for the thing.

Last edited:
Choc, my dad used a little box thing like yours when we had the meat market. All of our knives at the butchershop were always sharp. :)

chocolate chef - I HAVE to buy one at that price versus the other prices :shock: Is it the exact same thing you think?

Yes, it is Elf!

The only difference is the $69 one has smaller stones that the $139 ones if that is what you meant.

I googled Norton multi stone sharpener, and these are the top results.

Thanks everyone for the information! Elf - that's interesting... my Santoku has never lost it's razor edge. Maybe I just abuse my other knives and treat that one with extra TLC. :)

HERE is the sharpening system I use. I love it. It takes all the guesswork out of sharpening and this system will even do serrated blades.

GB - over a year, maybe 2 years? Back in the US, hubby sharpened our knives and he must have been doing something other than using the sharpening steel. I got the Santoku in Germany and haven't even used the sharpening steel on it.

You must have a magic knife :) My normal advice to people about knifes is to use the honing steel before EVERY use, but if your knife is the way you want it and it has been that long then I guess whatever you are doing is working for you!

I use the stone (forgot name) that belonged to my father and sharpen my own. I am a walking accident if the knives are too sharp so I know just how sharp to make them.

Hungry said:
Seems that I heard that a dull knife is more dangerous and cause more accidental cuts than a sharp one!
This is half correct. A dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one, but it does not cause any more accidents. The reason a dull knife is more dangerous is that if you do get a cut from a dull blade it will not be as clean a cut as if it were sharp. The blade will rip the skin more than cut it and that encourages infection.

Back
Top Bottom