Knife sharpening rig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
I realized something while reading a couple of these knife sharpening threads. I have a pana-vise and a pitch measuring angle finder thingy. I also have some Diamond stones and some other stones.
Now given that a pana-vise can be adjusted to most any angle, I can adjust the stone so that it makes a say 15 degree angle with the way I am confortable with holding the knife. And then I can just swipe my knife across the stone and get it scary sharp

I realized something while reading a couple of these knife sharpening threads. I have a pana-vise and a pitch measuring angle finder thingy. I also have some Diamond stones and some other stones.
Now given that a pana-vise can be adjusted to most any angle, I can adjust the stone so that it makes a say 15 degree angle with the way I am confortable with holding the knife. And then I can just swipe my knife across the stone and get it scary sharp

Yeah, the PanaVise is a time tested method for getting a great edge. Many expert sharpeners use it. The most popular method seems to be holding the stone however many degrees off of level as most people seem to find it easier to judge the angle that way. Personally I find a vertical stroke easier to repeat consistently but to each their own.

I had been using the basic technique for quite awhile sans panavise. I have a ribbed rubber tire chock and I lay the stone on the rib that gives me the desired angle. My angle measuring device was made for loft and lie of golf clubs and is accurate to one degree. Once the stone is in place, one hand is on the handle and the other on the blade, just like free handing with the stone laid flat. From this point, all one need do is keep the flat of the blade parallel to mother earth. In this modern world, the old measuring devices aren't even needed as I have the Dual Level Pro iPhone app. As Ray Ray would say, "How cool is that???"

img_735574_0_0bf62c1696c42477f4312293c7507856.jpg

Sorry about the focus. Crappy camera. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom