"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
The Kapoosh is an intriguing concept, although I see there are a significant number of negative reviews on Amazon. You may want to check those out. Apparently the plastic rods become bent over time, preventing the full insertion of knives, particularly those with large blades. If it were me, I'd go with this one for the same price: Amazon.com: Henckels 20-Slot Super Knife Storage Block: Home & Garden
My brother-in-law has had a Kapoosh for over a year and he just loves it. I just got mine a month or so ago, so I can't speak to its longevity. It handles an eclectic knife collection better than a conventional block.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Here's an idea for saving wall, drawer, and counter space. I have one and use it every day.

It's the Wusthof Swinger - the following info from Cutlery And More:

The Swinger, hardwood under-the-cabinet knife block, mounts easily under your cabinet and swings out at the touch of a finger. An internal magnetic strip holds knives securely. This block can hold up to 8 knives plus a sharpening steel, and will accommodate up to a 10-in. blade. It attaches with 3 screws (included). This great patented design takes up no counter space and keeps your knives handy at all times.

Dimensions: 10.25-in. L x 7.25-in. W x 2.25-in. H (Total Height 3.75-in.)

Weight: 5 lbs

Old 08-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Here's an idea for saving wall, drawer, and counter space. I have one and use it every day.

It's the Wusthof Swinger - the following info from Cutlery And More:

The Swinger, hardwood under-the-cabinet knife block, mounts easily under your cabinet and swings out at the touch of a finger. An internal magnetic strip holds knives securely. This block can hold up to 8 knives plus a sharpening steel, and will accommodate up to a 10-in. blade. It attaches with 3 screws (included). This great patented design takes up no counter space and keeps your knives handy at all times.

Dimensions: 10.25-in. L x 7.25-in. W x 2.25-in. H (Total Height 3.75-in.)

Weight: 5 lbs

That's a great idea. Thanks for posting it.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:52 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
From the sales site :

Eva Solo Knife magnets
[515240] 599.00SEK

EVA Solo Knife magnets offer greater flexibility than most conventional knife magnets. You put them just where you use them. Alternatively, all your knives can hang together on the wall, like a sculpture. Each magnets can, depending on the size of the knives, hold two knives simultaneously.

Design: Claus Jensen & Henrik Holbaek

Materials: Stainless steel and rubber

By what means are they attached to the wall? Thanks.

Buzz
You put a little metal thingy to the wall and then you just clip on the part with the magnet. It's very easy to put up and looks really nice. Another nice thing is that you can clip it off and wash it any time you want to (e.g. when your wife has a party and her friends stick the knifes back without washing them)

I bought them locally since I am Swedish and always fly from the airport in Copenhagen but my sister has used the webpage you mentioned and she has good experience. No problems with delivery and fair prices.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:00 AM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

How do you affix the metal piece to the wall?
Old 08-07-2009, 06:25 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
How do you affix the metal piece to the wall?
The metal ring is put up with two srews and then the main part is just put on top and held with a magnet.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:15 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

The most time and space efficient way to store your knife is in a block that will sharpen it each and every time you put the knife in, and take it out. Just be sure to DRY your knives before storage, because they WILL corrode.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:17 AM   #38
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Bronze View Post
The most time and space efficient way to store your knife is in a block that will sharpen it each and every time you put the knife in, and take it out. Just be sure to DRY your knives before storage, because they WILL corrode.
Do tell. Got a picture?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

Hey there... you can find a picture by googling for automatic knife sharpener block, or something like that.

Cheers!
Old 08-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #40
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Bronze View Post
Hey there... you can find a picture by googling for automatic knife sharpener block, or something like that.

Cheers!
Nope, didn't find anything. I assumed that because you are so big on the product you could take a picture of yours and explain how it works.