"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-03-2006, 02:22 AM   #1
Master Chef

Knives for gifts!

If money was no object which brand of knives would you recommend for: paring knife, chef's knife, and santaku? I have a #52 flambe cake( birthday) coming up in a few weeks and I love to cook. I've also been too frugal in the knife department(cheap is a far better description and ashamedly have for the past 30 years used the worst knives in the world except for one Henkels-------it's quite a cut above the rest no question.) My family wants to get me what I want-------and I want top of the line knives to ease me into my old age. Ha! As there are so many great cooks out there I leave my final decisions to your expertise and advice. So any tips will be much appreciated and thanks for checking out this posting.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:52 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Ergonomically speaking, a lot of people I know love the Henckles Twin series because of the way the handle is shaped. The Twin Select is the highest grade of that series, and Twin Cuisine is in the middle, and the Twin Signature is the low end of the series. The Twin Select and Cuisine are the ones to get because the knives are forged. The Twin Signature is stamped which is why it is about 1/3 the price of the other two.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:47 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to GarrettB Send a message via Skype™ to GarrettB
Henckels makes a series that you won't find in the glass case called Classic International or something like that. The knives end up in the individual plastic cases and are sold for 50% less than their "S" Series cousins. This is because they are manufactured in Spain rather than in Henckels homeland of Germany, allowing them to sell it for less and save you the mark up.

At least, thats what I was told by a reliable source. I bought the Santoku and it works like a charm for half the price of the German variety. Might think of giving a few of those knives as gifts rather than just one expensive one. *shrug*
Old 06-04-2006, 01:35 AM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I have recently purchased a set of the Calphelon Katana series(cause they looked cool to me, and felt great) and have been VERY PLEASED! I use henckels and wustofs in the pro kitchen and I would venture to say that these katana series knives are on par, if not superiour, to these brands...considering price point. Beautifully crafted, well balanced, and awesome edge retention. I LOVE EM!

Here is a link for anyone interested
http://www.calphalon.com/
Old 07-28-2006, 04:09 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Hi, 1st post. I would not recommend Henckels as they are no longer forged---the bolster and tang are now welded on (yes, even the high-end ones) but their marketing tries to hide this. For the Chef's and paring knife, I would recommend Messermeister's Meridian elite series (they are forged, bolsters don't extend to the edge to aid sharpening, edges are 15 degrees opposed to the usual 20 degrees.) ---Here's a link listing them together at less than 1/2 their usual price http://www.cameronscookware.com/Meridian%20Elite%208%20Inches%20Chef's%20Knife%20w ith%20Free%20Parer.aspx

As far as which Santoku, that's a tough one, How much do you want to spend?? Mac makes a good one for less than $100, but there are MANY makers of high-end santokus (hattori, misono, kasumi, etc) The one think I would say is that you buy a Japanese Santoku---German knives as a rule are made thick--this is not a good thing for a santoku (although you want this in your chef's knife.)
Old 07-28-2006, 04:56 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

remember to give the giftor a penny if they give you a knife as a gift, if you value your friendship.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:20 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Don't get a whole set. Choose the ones you want. I LOVE my santoku. Have lots of others of various brands.
Look on Amazon.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #8
Master Chef

Thanks for all the advice---I really do appreciate the sites recommended as well--I've been in and out due to my mother-in-law's hospitalizations since my first posting so it's great to come back to advice given over a month later. Such a wonderful forum!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 01:01 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

One of the most important things to do for buying knives is to go to a store and hold them. See if the handles suit your hand.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:55 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
remember to give the giftor a penny if they give you a knife as a gift, if you value your friendship.
We always do a variation of that too, Bucky. We ask the person for a penny, because you should never gift a knife. Bad luck would follow. So they buy it from you for a penny. You could put a penny in the gift box too, and that would be the gift - the knife would just go along with it.

BC