"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-05-2004, 03:58 PM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
anyone ever use one of those ceramic knives that ming tsai hawks?

they look cool, but i wonder how well they work...
I have heard that they work well, BUT are too fragile to really be worth it. They are incredibly sharp, but I even read of one person who chipped his slicing a tomato on a wood cutting board. He claims he was not being rough at all. If you ever drop one of those, forget it. It is all done. Even if I had unlimited $$$ I still would not want to deal with that. Who needs to go out and replace a knife every time you drop it or use it a little harder than you should?

Old 11-05-2004, 08:28 PM   #32
Master Chef

I have some carbon steel knives that I inherited from my grandparents. And until I got the Croma, preffered them above almost all other knives in my home, especially the cheap stainless, and infomercial-type knives. I only have one never sharpen knife that's worth a hoot, and it came as a free gift with a set of pots'n pans.

But I do witness that there are a few items that can react with the steel and create off-tastes and smells. But what really sells me on the Croma is that unique handle. It makes handling the quality steel effortless. And the grind is flat, rather than hollow ground. This makes slicing through tough food much easier.

I have to admit that for meats, my carbon steel slicing knife does a very fine job. But it dulls maore easily and needs more attention. Also, I like the utility of the chef's knife more than the slicing knife.

My son has the Croma Santoku and loves it. But them, he prefers to chop things, whey I slice them. The Chef's kife point drops from the spine to align with the handles mid-point. This gives me precise tip control.

But let's face it. What is perfect for my hand, and the way I use a knife is awkward for my wife. Some people love the standard three-rivet hardwood handle design as it just fits them better.

In any knife purchase, it truly is best if you can test-drive the knife before purchasing. Find what works for you, and weigh the advantages and faults of the various knife types. Get the knife that best suits you.

One surprise for me is the fragility of ceramic knives. There are ceramics that are tougher than steel. Ceramics are widely used in the water pump industry because of their toughness and because they don't corode. Also, there are ceramic berings, piston rings, tiles, etc. that are used specifically becasue of their hardness, and stregnth. But it dose depend on the ceramic molecular matrix, and what the ceramic is made from. Maybe the tough ones not suitable for knife use, or maybe their just too expensive.

In any case, I'm entirley too long winded.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:41 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
You have always spoke highly about your Chroma Goodweed. That knife looks very cool. I am going to test drive one soon. I think I want one.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:03 PM   #34

Well Goodweed, I know I will never get a chroma. Too expensive for my tastes.

And hey, if there is a taste with carbon steel, I must be used to it! Different strokes for different folks! Everybody can't like the same thing.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:12 PM   #35
Master Chef

Actually ChoclateChef, I applaude your remarks. You have found something you like, and will stick with it. I see no problem with your choices as they are right for you. And that's what picking tools is all about. Do what suits you, not what suits me, or your mother, or the guy down the street.

Certainly, listen to what others have to say. But in the end, if you do things to satisfy only others, then you cheat yourself.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:26 AM   #36

You are a real nice guy Goodweed! :D Thank you.

I like the old tried and true, but sometimes you need enough information on a new technology to determine if it is time for a change.

That is what you do. You give the information I need on new technology. Thanks.